De jong back to his best ?

Its quite clear to see that Mancini has set us up to old Man City the last few games as we have been struggling thats why De Jong will play but i fully expect with Yaya back he will be going to bit part role in the league again

as i said last month , he wasn't fit. now back to full fitness he will get his fair share of games. especially teams we need to battle (stoke etc) back to his putting body on the line best last night. nothing anyone else in our midfield offers. ps although not a huge fan my personal man of match was lescott. outshone kompany at heart of defence.

Not back to his very best (maybe that was down to the cad happy ref) but last night was his best performance of the season no doubt, which is more than welcome as it was not nice seeing him back out of challenges. Maybe he has his Mojo back.

Yep ... de jong was 'on fire' last night , all the old zest was back in his play , and it was the best game i've seen him play for quite some time.

All our stars were in defence and midfield last night , and it was those departments that basically stopped Portos overall effectiveness ....

and the bad news for Porto ?

Citys forwards can only improve in the return game!

I haven't read all the posts, so if someone's already mentioned this then sorry to repeat it...

But In that formation with a midfield 3 of Nige, Barry and Yaya, Nige will always have a good game. He simply knows his role is to break up the play and give it simple and when we're in control of the ball he just looks for the easy pass to keep it ticking.

Its when he's used in a 4-2-2-2 / 4-4-1-1 formation alongside 1 of Yaya or Barry when he looks out of his depth. He isn't well rounded enough to do both jobs in a 2 man midfield, so often looks pretty shit when playing.

I think the success of reverting back to the old formation with Yaya in the hole will see de Jong get more games, especially away from home. But if he keeps wanting more money on his new contract then he is easily replaceable and I think Mancini knows this.

I'd say he's looked back to his best since his goal against the scousers. He's been snapping into tackles and looking a lot more positive in his play (regaining match fitness probably plays a part in that too).

He loves an overhead kick clearance too.

Was it just me that thought, at times, he was playing higher up the field than Barry?

There were times when he dropped back, corners etc, but for a lot of the game he was pushing on.

Or maybe I was seeing things.

Broke up their attack time after time only slight criticism last night was his passing could do with a bit of tweaking, he really is a fantastic at what he's told to do.

Timmmmahhhh said:
Was it just me that thought, at times, he was playing higher up the field than Barry?

There were times when he dropped back, corners etc, but for a lot of the game he was pushing on.

Or maybe I was seeing things.

Yep, thought about that too. It was an annoyance for me actually, since he was so far up but didn't pass the ball offensively. Did a couple one-two's, otherwise mostly sideways. Rather have Barry far up who, while not very creative, at least can do some longer crosses or forward passes. On the other hand, De Jong is a bit more mobile and could quickly return to defensive positioning. Barry, caught up front, isn't as mobile.

Now that I think about it, it could be one of the reason's we've been so hurt by counter-attacks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.