De Jong: we can be kings

Garry.Cook

MCFC.co.uk said:
Nigel de Jong may have become the first City player through to the knock-out stages of the World Cup following Holland’s victory over Japan, but the Blues’ cult hero is already thinking beyond South Africa.

De Jong, who was joined by City team-mate Robinho in the final 16 last night following Brazil’s 3-1 win over Ivory Coast, is convinced the Blues can challenge for the Premier League title next season.

The popular midfielder will be hoping he can return to England as a World Cup winner with the Dutch, too, who have been impressive in their opening two games.

The former Hamburg star has played in both victories and with 44 caps to date is an integral part of Bert van Marwijk’s squad and sees parallels between Holland and City.

“I think we just have to deliver this World Cup," De Jong. “We have got enough quality to do it.

“As for my club, is there a chance we can win the Premier League next season? Yes, but we’ll see,” he said.

“That’s our aim, but let’s just see how the City players settle in again this year.

“Last year was our first season with a new squad. Next season we’ll be even better. There is only one goal at this club – to be the best. That’s why players come here.”

Anyone else cringing? What De Jong said wasn't too bad but I don't think the club should be suggesting we're aiming to win the league. We're already public enemy #1...shouldn't be inviting more pressure onto ourselves!

Nothing wrong with 'suggesting' that we can win the league ...... but we need to stop talking and get out there in August and make sure that we actually DO it!

what are you talking about OP? your behind the times.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1279069/Manchester-City-boss-Roberto-Mancini-targets-Premier-League-title.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... title.html</a>

It might only be the daily mail, but it's still already been publicised.

Come off it, there's nothing wrong with being positive. He made no claims that we were going to win it. He said he thought we had a chance, which is fair enough.

before a ball is kicked...he`s entitled to have his view,everyone who could possibly win -will say they can. i respect nigel...i think he is another class player,he seems cool too.

its not like he`s lucas of liverpool claiming to win the league.

chelsea,scum,pool,gooners need to shuffle their squads....villa should be there,i think spurs will be ruined by champions league! everton should be good this year too.

I can see where the OP's coming from, but we need to get real. There's no fucking way City are going about anything quietly and modestly any longer. That includes competing, winning and losing. The world simply won't let us. We might as well get positive about it.

there is nothing wrong about what he said... yes we are aiming for the title, and all players should change there mentality to that so we could actually win something

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.