Deadline Day Drama - City Memories

Harvster

My favourite has to be the probable urban myth of Mark Bright disappearing into the Peak Forest until the deadline had passed and it was safe to come out, when (a not very good at the time) City were trying to prise him away from Sheff Wednesday!

What's yours?

Other than the very obvious one a few years back, I seem to remember being stuck on the Isle of Man and desperately trying to ring home on a temperamental hotel payphone during a storm to find out whether we had managed to get Anders Limpar or not. Think we ended up doing a deal with Everton and getting Beagrie.

Benjani falling asleep always makes me smile, am sure that deal should not have gone though but Redknapp saw cash and had a word, or Rosie did at least.

Jack Pitt-Brooke told a cracking story about Benjani's transfer at the M/cr Football Writers Festival last year. I told this story in the second part of the 93:20 Boardroom Battles podcast.

All these stories about falling asleep at the airport were bollocks. He just didn't want to come to us. On the meantime, while he's being persuaded to come, we've submitted all the relevant paperwork to the FA bar anything that needs his signature. Eventually he arrives and signs but City are so pissed off with his attitude that they want to pull out. They ask the FA if they can annul the deal but the FA say no, as it's too late.

So we've got a player who doesn't really want to be here and that we don't really want but we're stuck with him. Of course he then makes his debut in the Derby and scores the winner. How typical City is that?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.