Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect the board don't give a fuck how others see us and approach transfer budgets by taking into account the huge number of disparage factors such as impact on future signings, wages structures, planned squad rejuvenation, impact on cash flow, future proofing against possible negative financial incomings, etc, etc and not what Twitter bellends think.
You know, acting like professionals who have got more than a bit of a clue at what they're doing.
Oh they care buddy. I wish we didn’t but the board do care very much how we are perceived in the market.

Kicking the can down the road on Bernardo probably isn't the smartest thing in the world. What Gundo said about Pep wanting the two of them to leave together, could equally apply to Bernie. That isn't the right thing to do. The right thing to do is to evolve the squad and refresh it so that when Pep leaves he doesn't leave a Ferguson situation with a bunch of ageing players who have won it all.

Having said all that. selling Bernie this summer would mean having to buy TWO players whereas if you keep him, you can probably just about get away with buying no one else and just going with Kovacic as the Gundo replacement. Tricky decisions, but I guess it all depends upon who is available this summer and what they'd cost.

It's also worth remembering that just because Bernardo was a good boy and buckled down after not getting his move the last 2 years, doesn't mean he will this year.

Prior peformance no indicator of future results etc.

I don't think it's in his character to do what Cancelo did, but the Mrs. wants away, new kid coming, easy to take your eye off the ball and let other things in life take priority.

Plus IIRC Cancelo, Gundogan, Sterling and Laporte were some of Bernardo's closest friends at the club, and they're all gone/going.

Yes, that part of it sounds like someone who's smoking something special.

Edit: she's anything but stupid, actually, guys. She has a first-class law degree, and has been involved in legal negotiations on behalf of footballers. She just must have had an absolute brainfart, or been consuming some substance that she couldn't handle just before going on air.
she also said that its something she did in a previous position she had held (cant remember the club). Not the greatest of thing to admit to

Kicking the can down the road on Bernardo probably isn't the smartest thing in the world. What Gundo said about Pep wanting the two of them to leave together, could equally apply to Bernie. That isn't the right thing to do. The right thing to do is to evolve the squad and refresh it so that when Pep leaves he doesn't leave a Ferguson situation with a bunch of ageing players who have won it all.

Having said all that. selling Bernie this summer would mean having to buy TWO players whereas if you keep him, you can probably just about get away with buying no one else and just going with Kovacic as the Gundo replacement. Tricky decisions, but I guess it all depends upon who is available this summer and what they'd cost.

Problem is next summer would the kind of players we’ll need want to join knowing there’s upheaval 12 months hence.

Would far prefer to take a half step back in moving Mahrez, Bernardo, Walker now and build a squad that’s peaking start of 2024/25 season. Get 2 years of new players working under Pep which should make the transition easier.

People need to trust the club especially the scouting network.

Many more opportunities will present themselves from now until August. This doesn’t spell the end of the spending.
To be fair, people are allowed to be disappointed we've missed out on signing a great player, I'm sure there are players and coaching staff within the club who share this disappointment. But we move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.