Decontaminating nuclear radioactivity.

In theory that can happen, but you've got to look at what usually happens in reality. The reality of running any business is one of corner cutting, lobbying for laxer regulations, and refusal to spend money on safety. Governments are frequently more concerned with remaining in power than anything else and, as we saw in Chernobyl or most recently in Wuhan, will downplay or outright deny failings if it's going to give the impression of incompetence even at the expense of thousands of lives.

People blame Fukushima on a natural disaster (as if a tsunami off the coast of Japan is an unexpected thing) but in reality there were a catalogue of errors that contributed to the disaster. In 1991, there was a flood in one of the generators caused by a burst pipe, after which an engineer warned against the possibility of a tsunami causing similar flooding. In 2000, a study commissioned by the plant owners recommended improved sea defences to protect the plant in case of a tsunami. In 2008 a study yet again recommended improving sea defences, and was ignored as an unrealistic threat. In 2011, a tsunami happened, flooded the reactor and caused a meltdown. This is the reality of a profit-motivated company being put in charge of anything. And if one of those things is something that can potentially make an area unlivable for thousands of years, then you need extremely strict regulations.
Fair comment.

I did wonder why a reactor was green lit at fukushima. I know japan as a whole doesnt have the best reputation with natural disasters, but there mustve been somewhere a bit more secure and maybe not on the pacific coast.

Fair comment.

I did wonder why a reactor was green lit at fukushima. I know japan as a whole doesnt have the best reputation with natural disasters, but there mustve been somewhere a bit more secure and maybe not on the pacific coast.
They wanted it next to the Pacific so they could flood it easily in an emergency I think.

6% is not enough. What is your alternative solution?

The problem nuclear power has is the stigma surrounding it, not the process, efficiency, cleanliness of the energy. Let's have a look at the major nuclear disasters:

3 Mile Island - human error
Chernobyl - human error
Fukushima - earthquake

Given sufficient training, you can absolutely minimise any risk of human error, and good luck trying to protect against acts of god.

Burning coal, oil, and gas is worse for the environment by orders of magnitude, and renewable sources aren't currently scalable enough to power everything. Nuclear is for me the sensible option.
Well in Japan’s case they’re a series of islands and so the amount of wave power/wind power they could harvest would be quite a good start. Their climate is decent and so solar is another. Maybe it’s time we developed smarter appliances which use less power? Maybe we could convert every home to be off-grid? The costs would be huge but you’ve seen how much we’ve spent on COVID-19 related issues? I’d hazard a guess that in say 500 years humans will be pissing their sides over how we used to power the world and the effort and costs it involved.

I have a mate, far cleverer than me. He ran (now retired) a company that deals with nuclear stuff. He was asked to design a robot that could cut into concrete, seal itself up behind it and film /report what was happening in front of it. It turned out that in the 60's what was Windscale now Sellafield suffered a nuclear reaction. Then all they could do was seal it in concrete and leave it. His task was to get in there and find out what was going on. He did and they simply left it. It was too big a problem.

Well in Japan’s case they’re a series of islands and so the amount of wave power/wind power they could harvest would be quite a good start. Their climate is decent and so solar is another. Maybe it’s time we developed smarter appliances which use less power? Maybe we could convert every home to be off-grid? The costs would be huge but you’ve seen how much we’ve spent on COVID-19 related issues? I’d hazard a guess that in say 500 years humans will be pissing their sides over how we used to power the world and the effort and costs it involved.
500 years is a long old fuckin time big boy. Remember where we were 500 years back? Technologies are advancing quicker than you can imagine so i think youre over egging it tbh.
In as few as 100 years i believe we'll be doing things we camt even comprehend today.
What youve suggested isnt silly, but it is why i suggested that as a solution for today it wouldnt work, renewable power as it stands is admirable but a pipedream

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.