Decoys in the transfer markets

See United have offered £50 million for that Kenyan guy who fell out of the plane this week. Woodward reckons he's good on the wing,makes an impact and comes with no baggage.....
Terrible at holding his position though.

I don't think it's on purpose,i think it's a compliment that they go for our players we are interested in,they don't realise what they are getting because they haven't put the work into scouting them

Not sure we’ve set up decoys but we have looked at players as potential’s and set prices for them that reflect they were not the complete package - as in Fred’s case. United are probably guilty of diving in and paying top dollar without really understanding what their specific use was for a player. The net result is we’ve missed out on players that weren’t critical. United have signed players who are really not the finished product at sky high prices and top dollar wages. We are fortunate in the transfer market we have a great squad and we can be patient and can afford to miss out on targets. United playing catch up are showing signs of desperation and in that desperation are making matters worse and putting themselves further behind us.

I don't think we feign interest in players we don't want, but we definitely have multiple targets for each position and obviously one of those will be the top target. And making it known that we're also interested in someone else may force the hands of players that really want to join us or the sort of chairmen who act all tough, but secretly would hate to miss out on a big chunk of cash. If Harry Maguire's our top target, but it's not going anywhere so we start sniffing around Nathan Ake instead, that may make Maguire's agent put pressure on his board to accept a reasonable bid. And if not, then we still end up with Nathan Ake who has been identified as someone who's good enough to improve the squad.

Not sure we’ve set up decoys but we have looked at players as potential’s and set prices for them that reflect they were not the complete package - as in Fred’s case. United are probably guilty of diving in and paying top dollar without really understanding what their specific use was for a player. The net result is we’ve missed out on players that weren’t critical. United have signed players who are really not the finished product at sky high prices and top dollar wages. We are fortunate in the transfer market we have a great squad and we can be patient and can afford to miss out on targets. United playing catch up are showing signs of desperation and in that desperation are making matters worse and putting themselves further behind us.
True. It's always better to buy from a position of strength. Because we haven't waited for the likes of Silva, Fernandinho, Kompany and Aguero to retire before finding their replacements, we can afford to wait for a player to be available at the right price.

Seeing as the moment we show a sniff of interest in players - Sanchez, Fred, Maguire, Jorginho, Johnny Evans... then other clubs seem to just mindlessly jump in and try and compete with us. Does anyone genuinely think we are using decoy tactics in the transfer window?

Think about it.. whenever we get a transfer done, it just seems to be done, quickly and with hardly any fuss. I feel like the Bernardo silva one just occurred completed behind the scenes. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if we aren’t after maguire at all and then we’ll just pop up with a reasonably priced centre back who’ll do the business, leaving the rags with a £100m over-rated player (just like Fred/Sanchez).
I don't think it's a decoy as such. However, once we get into a bidding war with another club we tend to come out on top. Not because we outbid our competitors but because we've got the clarity to walk away.
One example that comes to mind is Sanchez at the swamp. They have lumbered themselves with a £500,000 per week wage bill on arguably the premier league's least effective player.
The knock on effect of that is the likes of Rashford and the Lama are demanding £250,000 - £300,000 per week. That one transfer last season has single handedly crippled the rags wage structure.

Yet despite that, Gary Neville was genuinely bewildered as to why M.C.F.C were not moving heaven and earth to sign Sanchez.

Well, Gary...... that's why.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.