Defence better without Kompany

schumey04 said:
Its already been explained earlier in the thread. When he plays the line is pushed much further up the pitch exposing other defenders weakness in pace ala demichelis, kolarov and Lescott. When he doesn't play defence drops deeper and rely s on discipline which they do have. Also Fernandinhio drops as cover. Vertonghen beside him and we would be unbelievable

Elementary my dear watson

Sort of agree...think the issue is Kompany and Demichelis are both leaders, so when playing together both instinctively want to lead the defensive line and operate at different lines ....whereas Lescott and Nastasic are both followers and follow the line of either of the other two, all great centre back pairings had a clear leader (Butcher/Osman,Adams/Bould etc) and their partner fell into line with them.
IMO this is why Demichelis looks better when he hasn't got Kompany next to him,he sets the line and the other CB falls in line with him.......easy choice which of the two id play though.

A... said:
The issue with Kompany's game is that the genuinely world class defender he became was forged by Mancini's teachings and tactics; the defensive unit defended deeper, narrower, and players were seldom isolated one on one. Under Pellegrini it's every man for himself; the line is unnecessarily high, with too much space between each player. That explains why Nastasic has gone from Rolls Royce to Ford Fiesta under the tactical antichrist.

Watch Kompany's positioning in the key incident when Barca won the penalty; last season the 2 other defenders behind him would have been level with and closer to him. Now, the defensive tactics consist of running up the pitch towards the halfway line, under mad Martin's wavy-armed command, regardless of where the ball/opposition are. Whether it was subconscious or intentional disregard of the naïve man's instruction, it cost us a goal. Another factor is the 'false 5' Demichelis' unreliability. It's as if Kompany can't focus on his own game because he's on standby to dig us out when the donkey-tailed goon finds himself chasing shdows on the left wing. You get the impression Lescott is the only partner he trusts (regardless of the pinball 'mistake' against Barca) He needs to tell Pellegrini, in the same way it appears Terry has had a word at Chelsea about their equally bad-haired, equally AWOL liability Luiz.

One more thing that is undoubtedly to blame for Kompany's perceived decline this season is the absence of Gareth Barry; he was always occupying the space in front of the defence, meaning the opposition were generally forced wide. Now (again thanks to the primitive tactics of the manager) there is a huge gap between the 2 straight lines of 4 in his 4-4-2, oppo attackers are now finding space in there, giving the centrehalves a dilemma; if they go out, it leaves space in behind for diagonal runners to exploit. If they hold their position, it allows the players in possession a free shot on goal from 25 yards.
Total bollocks. There is and has been no decline.<br /><br />-- Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:03 am --<br /><br />
sh249 said:
King Geedorah said:
A... said:
The issue with Kompany's game is that the genuinely world class defender he became was forged by Mancini's teachings and tactics; the defensive unit defended deeper, narrower, and players were seldom isolated one on one. Under Pellegrini it's every man for himself; the line is unnecessarily high, with too much space between each player. That explains why Nastasic has gone from Rolls Royce to Ford Fiesta under the tactical antichrist.

Watch Kompany's positioning in the key incident when Barca won the penalty; last season the 2 other defenders behind him would have been level with and closer to him. Now, the defensive tactics consist of running up the pitch towards the halfway line, under mad Martin's wavy-armed command, regardless of where the ball/opposition are. Whether it was subconscious or intentional disregard of the naïve man's instruction, it cost us a goal. Another factor is the 'false 5' Demichelis' unreliability. It's as if Kompany can't focus on his own game because he's on standby to dig us out when the donkey-tailed goon finds himself chasing shdows on the left wing. You get the impression Lescott is the only partner he trusts (regardless of the pinball 'mistake' against Barca) He needs to tell Pellegrini, in the same way it appears Terry has had a word at Chelsea about their equally bad-haired, equally AWOL liability Luiz.

One more thing that is undoubtedly to blame for Kompany's perceived decline this season is the absence of Gareth Barry; he was always occupying the space in front of the defence, meaning the opposition were generally forced wide. Now (again thanks to the primitive tactics of the manager) there is a huge gap between the 2 straight lines of 4 in his 4-4-2, oppo attackers are now finding space in there, giving the centrehalves a dilemma; if they go out, it leaves space in behind for diagonal runners to exploit. If they hold their position, it allows the players in possession a free shot on goal from 25 yards.

This is actually a fantastic post. Love your writing style, 'false 5' and 'mad Martin's wavy armed command' personal highlights.

Well written, perhaps. And I would agree that Kompany looks more comfortable playing with Lescott than anyone else. Beyond that though, it seems little more than an exercise in stating the obvious (we play a higher line and more attacking style under Pellegrini and are therefore more open/vulnerable defensively), sprinkled with a couple of cheap and fairly juvenile jibes at Pellegrini and Demichelis.
This is spot on.

BBC sportsday: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/26356351" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/26356351</a>
Vincent Kompany is in Robbie Savage's best Manchester XI. Since the start of City's title-winning season in 2011-12, they have lost only nine of 75 games when Kompany has played, compared with seven of 29 when he hasn't.
nuff said.

As far as I can see this mirrors a situation I have noticed at the kids football team I help coach. We have one very good central defender for his age (under 10) who reads the game like a pro and is very good in the air, on the ground and very strong in his play, one other defender who may match him in time (first season with us) and one goalkeeper who is a truly excellent shot stopper but needs to grow a bit. We play 2 teams every Saturday and when those 3 play together they get no protection from the midfield and the attack do not even bother to try and get the ball back when they lose it simply because they seem to think that the back 3 should be able to cope with anything, contrast this to the protection they give to the second string keeper or the guy who fills in when one of the regular keepers is not playing and it is just unbelievable.

Now taking into account all the other points made on this thread I wonder if there is a feeling amongst the other City defenders that Kompany is so good that he will clear up all their mistakes, which to be fair he does more often than not, that they can afford to make them when he is playing. In my opinion Zabaletta was a prime example getting caught out of position tonight and causing the situation where Vinnie got booked. I love Zab to bits (after my early worries that he would be sent off every game when he first joined us) but this could cost us come the end of the season ( If Vinnie gets suspended again when we need him due to having to take one for the team). They need to concentrate the same whether Vinnie is playing or not. As a keeper I would have loved him playing in font of me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.