Defence Cuts

tweetstreet said:
I know the cuts are essential due to the financial black hole labour left us in.

What i would like to know is with us due to be out of Afghan by 2015 how much is this likely to save the military?

My big concern is what happens if the Argies get uppity over the falklands again especially with these oil finds and especially if we find a larger than expected quanitity there. Weren't aircraft carriers with air craft on them vital to the war effort 1st time round>?

What happens if they do attack again? my only thought is that the yanks have given us some promise to have a quiet word with Argentina if they do start getting aggresive, especially with all the support we've given them over Iraq and Afghan.

I strongly suspect that there is a plan in place for something like this. The likelihood is that we would lease aircraft, most probably from the USA. We've done it before.

smudgedj said:
tweetstreet said:
I know the cuts are essential due to the financial black hole labour left us in.

What i would like to know is with us due to be out of Afghan by 2015 how much is this likely to save the military?

My big concern is what happens if the Argies get uppity over the falklands again especially with these oil finds and especially if we find a larger than expected quanitity there. Weren't aircraft carriers with air craft on them vital to the war effort 1st time round>?

What happens if they do attack again? my only thought is that the yanks have given us some promise to have a quiet word with Argentina if they do start getting aggresive, especially with all the support we've given them over Iraq and Afghan.

Argentina don't have the resources or the political backing to mount an attack on the Falklands. We still have the Assault Ships and Helicopter carrier (I think)

Smudge

Illustrious is being changed to a helo carrier. What has failed to come out some ships are being put in "Reduced Readiness" for those that dont know is minimal crew, mothball and bring out when needed.

That will leave is with

Illustrious or Ocean

and

Albion or Bulwark

One ready for sea service at immediate notice and fully manned. The others as the political situatio dictates

The PM was at out place today and he got battered with questions

-- Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:06 pm --

Congratulations to successive British Governments (largely due to Blair & Brown): You have achieved what the Navies of King Phillip, Emperor Napoleon, Kaiser Wilhelm, Hitler, Stalin and Kim Il-sung (and assorted other pieces of sh*t) failed to do - Destroy the Royal Navy. Let's hope your famillies are safe in those ivory towers.<br /><br />-- Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:14 pm --<br /><br />
kronkonite said:
the bigger the defence cuts the better

one cut I agree with

You are a WANKER. Try serving then making a quote.

smudgedj said:
tweetstreet said:

Argentina don't have the resources or the political backing to mount an attack on the Falklands. We still have the Assault Ships and Helicopter carrier (I think)
i wouldn't count on it

tweetstreet said:

The Argies are cacking it, we've sent 4 typhoons to the falklands last year and they went mad.
Work for Bae on JSF's and Typhoons so wasn't as bad as we expected today, but got loads of mates at Bae Woodford looks pretty bad for them as they're scrapping the nimrod.

Swales lives said:
I bet all you Labour hating military types are glad you voted Tory now. You'll have even less kit and no hospitals to come back to soon. Land of hope and glory.

LOL, are you really being serious? The last government are largely to blame for these measures having to be taken.

I give you the proposed move of training to St Athan in South Wales. £14 billion plus for something that everyone in the Forces thought was completely unnecessary & would be detrimental to the standard of training provided. The reason the decision was taken... for a while it looked as though Labour was going to get a caning in the Welsh National Assemble elections so, coincidentally of course, the decision was made to move the training shortly before the afore mentioned elections. Spooky.

Then there's the procurement of the 'wrong' type of JSF. The more expensive version, that by the way, wasn't the one we really needed. Ineptitude or lining pockets? You decide.

And don't forget drawing up contracts for two aircraft carriers that are more expensive to cancel than actually go ahead with!!! Fcuking hell, how useless can you get?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.