Delap's throw ins

Grand Master Ram Rod

To anyone at the club or anyone who knows people at the club, please tell Mancini not to bring every player back for Delap' throw ins and please stop that zonal bollocks.

Hughes' defending may have been shit but if there's one thing he nailed, it was how to defend Delap's throws. We defended them better than any other club imo. Leave 3 small players on the half way line (last season it was SWP, Robinho and Sturridge/Elano). Then mark there players attacking the ball (which was only 4 of them on Sat) man for man and let Given come out and collect the ball without a packed area in his way. This worked perfectly last season with both Hart and Given, so let's do it again.

The reason I've said man for man as well is, 1) because I think it's better and 2) even if we lose the header, when you have a man near you it can put you off, no fucker was near Fuller for his goal on Saturday.

There's also a chance of a break with 3 left up top that could get us a goal.

Agreed - the actual throw in isn't the issue, i mean he hasn't scored off a throw in yet has he?
the isue is the players who get on the end of the throw-in...

Man marking the likes of Ricardo Fuller is the way to go, he ain't exactly Didier Drogba is he and a little presence of another player will put this guy off.

SteSteez said:
Agreed - the actual throw in isn't the issue, i mean he hasn't scored off a throw in yet has he?

Man marking the likes of Ricardo Fuller is the way to go, he ain't exactly Didier Drogba is he and a little presence of another player will put this guy off.

Sorry to be pedantic but actualy yeh I saw him score from a throw in earlier this season lol, it went straight in without touching a man, but it was dissalowed because it has to hit someone first!

Given said in the paper today that they were aware of it, had talked about it & were prepared for it when it came BUT "fuller was allowed to run in & get a free header".
It was the same at the back post against Scunny when 2 of their players ran to the back post & had a free header but luckily for us got in each others way,all our players were looking at each other wondering who should have picked them up.
I'm still confused if we were prepared for it why we kept literally passing the ball out of play near the corner flag rather than hoofing it long.

bluemanc said:
Given said in the paper today that they were aware of it, had talked about it & were prepared for it when it came BUT "fuller was allowed to run in & get a free header".
It was the same at the back post against Scunny when 2 of their players ran to the back post & had a free header but luckily for us got in each others way,all our players were looking at each other wondering who should have picked them up.
I'm still confused if we were prepared for it why we kept literally passing the ball out of play near the corner flag rather than hoofing it long.
Fellaini won everything too against us, zonal marking is dog shit.

TevezIsACaveman said:
SteSteez said:

Sorry to be pedantic but actualy yeh I saw him score from a throw in earlier this season lol, it went straight in without touching a man, but it was dissalowed because it has to hit someone first!

If you're being pedantic then I shall! Yer can't score directly from a throw in. It might go in the net but it can't be disallowed because it wasn't a goal to start with. He will never score from a throw in. Actually, thought Herr Crappenburg might be the first ref to let him.

i didnt see the point in SWP standing in front of Delap when he was taking the throws.
Sure SWP isnt the tallest but he could have been in or around the box instead to clear anything that broke, where he was just meant we were 1 man short in the area

hertsblue said:
i didnt see the point in SWP standing in front of Delap when he was taking the throws.
Sure SWP isnt the tallest but he could have been in or around the box instead to clear anything that broke, where he was just meant we were 1 man short in the area
It's better to have less players in the area as proved last season.

The throw ins themselves don't do the damage, it's the static defenders who allow Stoke players free headers. It's amazing how many of their goals come from direct headers as opposed to flick-ons or goal mouth scrambles as a result of the throw. Like Mancini said, the two unmarked players caused the trouble. If they were properly marked they don't score a free header. I'm not trying to take anything away from Delap or Stoke. Or is that too simplistic?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.