Dennis Tueart - 50 Years A Blue

Blimey 50 years !! Loved Dennis and was gutted when he left in 78 and in his prime to go to the States of all places!!
Big reason I became a City supporter. Pele retired the season before and they brought in Tueart. He was well received in New York. He was a good, skillful player who didn’t shirk the physical side of game game. As a result, he was very well liked during his time playing for the Cosmos.

Looking back on it I am embarrassed to say the Cosmos were very Raggy….so happy to say I quickly learned the error of my ways.

His brother, Kevin, lives round the corner from me. Newcastle let him go as a schoolboy and Dennis twice thought he was coming here to play, once when he left City and again after he finished with NYC.

Fantastic player, proud Geordie, pity about his cup win with the Mackems and that overhead kick.

His brother, Kevin, lives round the corner from me. Newcastle let him go as a schoolboy and Dennis twice thought he was coming here to play, once when he left City and again after he finished with NYC.

Fantastic player, proud Geordie, pity about his cup win with the Mackems and that overhead kick.
I know you won’t want to hear this, but that 1973 Cup final is probably my favourite non-City game. Second division Sunderland up against Revie's dirty Leeds at the height of their power.

I still clearly remember Ian Porterfield scoring, me jumping up, and shouting, "Yes!" and my Mum cautioning me that "There’s still a long way to go".

A brilliant day.

Last edited:
I was just a young lad, where I lived it was 50/50 between NUFC/ SAFC supporters. Almost all of the NUFC supporters wanted SAFC to win in 73. The following year almost all of the SAFC supporters wanted Liverpool to win. Really does stick in my mind, never wanted SAFC to win any game since and my best mate supports them.

I remember as a lad waiting by the players car park collecting autographs. Dennis was (understandably) always popular with the youngsters. On this one occasion he put his arm round my shoulders and walked with me from the car park to the players entrance, asking me who I was, where I was from, how long I had supported City etc. As we got to the players entrance we stopped and he told me to hang on, disappeared for a few mins and then came back with a ticket for the Maine Stand. As a Kippax scruff he made me feel like royalty that day. Top man and top player.

On the 50th anniversary of the much loved Dennis Tueart signing for City here’s his 1977/78 First Division match worn away shirt featuring embroidered 76/77 League Runners Up COA badge.

Tuesday would bag a hat-trick wearing this shirt during City’s 4-1 win over Aston Villa at Villa Park on 24th August 1977.

IMG_7675.jpeg

Those sky blue socks with the white tassel on the outsides. Quality. My first City hero.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.