Did “player power” begin at City?

This has turned into a really fascinating thread. So the answer to the question I posed in the title does appear to be “No”, though we were certainly at the forefront of change.

In regards to who was responsible for Saunders' sacking, it's important to note that the decision was made at a board meeting that followed the meeting with players, and would have gone to a vote from the nine directors.

Swales was still in a precarious position at this time. He only owned 11.5% of the club, compared to Joe Smith's 31.0% and Eric Alexander's 18.3%, while vice-chairman Simon Cussons had a 10.5% stake. Smith had described Malcolm Allison as “the greatest man in football” and was most probably hoping that Saunders' sacking would result in the return of his hero. If it was Smith who was pushing for Saunders to be sacked then I don't think Swales would have dared oppose him, as Smith had enough shares to forge an alliance with Alexander or Cussons that could have resulted in Swales being removed from the chairmanship at the Annual General Meeting.

Three days after Saunders was sacked there were reports of a plot to replace Swales as chairman with former vice-chairman Sidney Rose, and Swales' position appeared to be under threat for a while longer.

By 1979 Swales had acquired a 36% stake and Cussons 27%, so all he had to worry about was keeping his vice-chairman sweet. It was only then that the full destructive power of Swales was unleashed.

This has turned into a really fascinating thread. So the answer to the question I posed in the title does appear to be “No”, though we were certainly at the forefront of change.

In regards to who was responsible for Saunders' sacking, it's important to note that the decision was made at a board meeting that followed the meeting with players, and would have gone to a vote from the nine directors.

Swales was still in a precarious position at this time. He only owned 11.5% of the club, compared to Joe Smith's 31.0% and Eric Alexander's 18.3%, while vice-chairman Simon Cussons had a 10.5% stake. Smith had described Malcolm Allison as “the greatest man in football” and was most probably hoping that Saunders' sacking would result in the return of his hero. If it was Smith who was pushing for Saunders to be sacked then I don't think Swales would have dared oppose him, as Smith had enough shares to forge an alliance with Alexander or Cussons that could have resulted in Swales being removed from the chairmanship at the Annual General Meeting.

Three days after Saunders was sacked there were reports of a plot to replace Swales as chairman with former vice-chairman Sidney Rose, and Swales' position appeared to be under threat for a while longer.

By 1979 Swales had acquired a 36% stake and Cussons 27%, so all he had to worry about was keeping his vice-chairman sweet. It was only then that the full destructive power of Swales was unleashed.
I think player power started a lot earlier. Ever heard of Billy M

Me neither, even more annoying was that when Swales appointed Saunders he promised to resign if it didn't work out. That went the way of most of his other promises.
I hated watching City when Saunders was the manager. He was far too dour and was pleased when he was sacked. The problem was that within three years I had moved to Birmingham and was working at the University of Aston!

Here was Saunders winning the First Division title and his team going on to win the European Cup. I had to put up with it, fortunately living in Coventry.

Shortly after I ceased to work in Birmingham, Villa were relegated!

Think it was Johnny Haynes as my FOC memory recalls, played for Fulham
I'm getting old but yes, it was Johnny Haynes who played for Fulham. As I said, he was a really pleasant guy sitting on the next table to us and happy to chat away, probably recognising we didn't have a clue who he was.

Why? I don't mean to sound rude but, It sounds like a meaningless boast from the rag Era, taking ownership of a totally natural evolution of the game.

Why? I don't mean to sound rude but, It sounds like a meaningless boast from the rag Era, taking ownership of a totally natural evolution of the game.
You're not going to like my next piece on Swales then. It mentions the fact that we were the first club in football to be hit with a transfer ban.

It's clear that people have differing views on what "player power" means. I'm using the term to refer to players underperforming in order to get a manager sacked, rather than the gaining of employment rights. Obviously, the latter has taken place over a long period of time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.