Did you ever think it would be this good?

I saw us beat Newcastle in the League Cup final in 1976. I'd grown up seeing City win trophies and titles for 10 years, and it never entered my head on that sunny day back then the traumas that would unfold.

As the years drifted by, I increasingly thought I'd never see us winning anything again. I remember questioning why I even bothered going to the games after we moved into Coms. The new ground had promised so much, but it was the same old City, dodging relegation year after year. The nadir was when Pearce was our manager. 13 goals at home in the season, 3 of them against Everton, and not one ball hitting the home net after that game which took place around Christmas time.

Did I think it was going to be this good? No, not at all.

I remember being at Wembley when we played Stoke in the FA Cup final in 2011. Yaya powered in his shot 10 minutes or so from time, and 10 minutes later a huge chant echoed around the ground as the clock ticked round. '34 years, and we're still here'.

I knew at the time it would be the last time it would be sung by us, and there was genuine emotion on many faces at that time, but it never crossed my mind we would have the success we have since achieved.

Aguero signed for us a few weeks later and the following year we played QPR. It's been a pleasant ride ever since.
I've like a few posts in this thread but feel the need to reply to this one as I've just had a peeling onions moment.

I was too emotional at the Stoke game when my lad came to hug me in the block I was in for the last few minutes to remember singing our badge of honour song, I'd sung that all over the fucking country it brought proper togetherness to us all.

In reply to the OP, no, not in a million years did I think it would be this good.

I began in the kippax at Maine Road in the Machin era (Junior blue, yellow laminated card). That time promised so much with a fantastic youth team, promoted with a bang, we had signed Clive Allen for a Mill and things looked great.
We even battered the rags 5-1 after they had spent millions and then I slowly came to terms with the fact that we were not a well run club.

I told my red mates they would only win the title once, when they finally achieved it. Then look what happened! That caused much misery.

While next door basked in huge success we struggled, a lot (Kendall, Reid, Brian, Kevin and Joe, deserve thanks in that period)
However, I considered like many and hoped that we might win the League Cup once in my lifetime, that would make me happy. FA cup was quite simply a dream.

So for us to be ran like we are, have had the managers we have (Pep being the greatest of all time), the infrastructure, the players, old and new from 2008 onwards, and most importantly have achieved what we have, in the way we have, there are quite simply no words to describe City now, maybe unbelievable!

I often think karma came to pass for Utd where we are concerned though.

Throughout our success and perhaps the best is yet to come, I hope we remain humble with it all, we need too.

I know our older fans understand that better than anyone.

Football seems to run in cycles, but like it or not an elite club we are and the second full decade of HRH might well need a word better than unbelievable!

Am I incredibly proud of the club and everything it has become....what an understatement!

If anyone claims they saw it coming to the extent it currently is, they're a liar or a Euromillions jackpot winner.

On the 1st September 2008 we all dreamed big, but did you ever in your wildest dreams believe we would see what we have in the last few seasons?
It's frikin ridiculous to think how far we have come from exactly 14 years ago today!

I quietly placed football manager in a Perspex box labelled open in the event of an emergency.

On the 1st September 2008 we all dreamed big, but did you ever in your wildest dreams believe we would see what we have in the last few seasons?
It's frikin ridiculous to think how far we have come from exactly 14 years ago today!

A shame Mike Doyle and Nellie couldn't have hung around for another 5 years

Nah not close, when we first got taken over I thought “ well I’ll be watching us win more games, play better football and if we can build and be challenging in 10 years or so that’ll do “

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.