Did You Go Halifax Away In the FA Cup in 1980?

I went to an FA Cup replay at Shrewsbury in the mid sixties which we lost. I know train wrecking was invented on merseyside but that night City fans certainly had a go at it.
I was at that match. We got the football special down and arrived at the Gay Meadow stadium. It was by the River Severn and they had an old guy called Fred Davis in a boat to collect balls that ended in the river.

Someone tried a gate and found that it was unlocked and we all poured in for free. It was a dismal match and we were all gutted.

We got on the train to go back and found that the team were travelling. Far from being downcast, they were all laughing and joking and trying to pull the girls.

There were five members of the team that went on to win the title three later and/or the cup four years on, playing that night.

That match was three days before the Swindon match with the lowest ever City home league attendance.

Shrewsbury was the final appearance of David Shawcross who many expected great things before injury wrecked his career.

Last edited:
Yes, I was there - all nineteen years old of me. After the game we all thought ''This is as bad as it will ever be' (F-words taken out ). How wrong we were. In some ways, looking back, it's a vital bit of our history - helps us older fans gauge things from a balanced perspective and value what we have now even more. Halifax was only a few years on from our brilliant side of the late 60s and early 70s and excellent but unlucky outstanding team of the mid to late 70s that came within a grain of sand of winning the title.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.