Did You Go Halifax Away In the FA Cup in 1980?

Yes , was stood on the mudheap away end and shinned up a tree to get a better view , shouldnt have bothered , remember they shut the burger stall and it all kicked off a few hungry blues were not happy.
Always brings a wry smile to my face when the opposition fans sing WWYWYWS , they are clueless.

Yes went to Halifax and Shrewsbury, both results were crap, but Halifax with mud banking was a real mess. Went to every game the following year 1981 and that finished in tears, HOWEVER that's what makes us today FOCs, I was only 22 when we went to Halifax, 44 years ago but still excited.

On the train down to Shrewsbury I remember reading that Malcolm had a ‘frying pan plan’ where he would burn Shrewsbury on the edges and sizzle them in the middle! That turned out well ! Apart from the snowballs that day it was cold and miserable, and no fun at all. Compounded, when the train back home broke down, and became an ice box as the heating failed.

Halifax was equally disastrous, apart from the cold and wet, and one of the poorest performances I’ve ever seen, my mates car’s gearbox packed in on the way back, and we journeyed home in second gear.

Great times though following City. It made us FOC’s who we are today. 45 years later, still going strong.

Went to both Halifax and Shrewsbury..
Fucking jeans were ruined with the mud from the terrace at the Halifax game..
I remember after the game City fans splitting into two groups and running wild with coppers and dogs not sure which group to chase.
Was also at Blackpool when we also lost..but slight consolation was that Bournemouth beat the rags..
Fuck me we were shite at cup games weren't we.
I seem to remember it kicking off outside the main entrance at Shrewsbury before the game . Or it may have been after . Had a few sleeps since then !

Yes went to Halifax and Shrewsbury, both results were crap, but Halifax with mud banking was a real mess. Went to every game the following year 1981 and that finished in tears, HOWEVER that's what makes us today FOCs, I was only 22 when we went to Halifax, 44 years ago but still excited.
I remember City fans fighting with police horses on the way back to the train station , it was like a scene from blazing saddles

Shrewsbury, somehow I lost my train ticket and was worried I might have to stay in Shrewsbury for ever

I went to an FA Cup replay at Shrewsbury in the mid sixties which we lost. I know train wrecking was invented on merseyside but that night City fans certainly had a go at it.

Off topic a little, am appalled that the FA cup 5th round is once again being played mid week. For me historically it was one of the great occasions of the football calendar, win and you can legitimately dream of Wembley. Long before our current success can still taste the euphoria of our wins over Plymouth and Barnsley the possibility of FA cup glory seemed very real. Of course Spurs and the dippers trampled our dreams underfoot, but for two or three weeks we could dream of cup glory. Don't think it would have felt the same on a Tuesday night. Honourable mention too for Peterborough away in 81 followed by our quarter final exploits in the two Everton matches.
For that you have to blame the endless bloody International Breaks. It will be worse near season with the expanded CL Group Stages.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.