Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2014/15 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought after a nights sleep, I'd be calmer about everything! Far from it.

He has to go and go now! Whether its Vieira or Kidd or the 2 combined for the rest of the season it odesn't matter, I'd have more faith in either of them then I have in pellegrini currently!

Drop Yaya and play Lampard for the remainder of the season and in the summer do away with Yaya and the rest of the lazy gang.

Shaelumstash said:
Dribble said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
I have a theory that it often takes a team a season to 'unlearn' what the previous manager drilled into them. If the new manager can add something then the team can be very successful. It happened with Martinez at Everton, where they retained a lot of the organisation and grit they had under Moyes but added some flair. Moyes tried to undo too much too quickly at the rags and failed but Koeman has carried on the work of Pochettino at Southampton and added something to that so it will be interesting to see how they do next season.

Perhaps Pellegrini has done the same thing, by building on Mancini's work last season but, once all that was 'unlearned', simply can't hack it with his own methods.
TBF, this was pointed out by some early last season when many were in a swoon as we abandoned our disciplined tactical approach in favour of MP's 442 Keegan-esque all out attacking philosophy.

Once our defensive solidity had been eroded all it took was for one or two average managers to figure out a way to combat our new 'throwing the kitchen sink' tactic and we were in trouble because MP was too inflexible to effect tactical change when it was obviously necessary.

Now teams have worked out how to nullify us offensively and we don't seem to have the ability to reorganise ourselves into the solid defensive unit we once were, we're now tactically caught between the rock and the hard place. As you say in your post, MP would have been wiser to add to what he inherited as our team only needed evolving. The complete abandonment of the solidity that MP inherited was utter madness and is the reason many warned of what could possibly lay ahead.

The problems we face today started 18 months ago. The disappointing thing is we've done nothing to evolve our tactics as others have evolved theirs to combat us and I repeat what I said weeks ago, I seriously fear for our CL qualification and the ramifications for us in respect to FFP if we don't qualify.

The worrying thing is, even if Pellegrini wanted to be more solid, drop the line deeper and get us back to basics of being hard to beat, the Directors above him won't allow it!

It's all part of our ingenious holistic philosophy that every team in the "City family" play high line, possession based, attacking football. Forget that our captain and former player of the season Zabaleta's form has dived off a cliff, we can't protect them and become more solid, because it's not good for brand synergy, you see.

If the loyal fans in Melbourne, New York and Yokohama see Manchester City playing a solid defensive line as they did under the previous manager, they might start thinking the whole City Group concept is crazy, they play a high line, so we aaaaaall play a high line. Football principles, concepts, philosophies, brand synergies, that's more important than winning games and trophies now.

English football has found it hard to adjust to a model where directors identify and buy players. Just when we're turning the corner on that, City go nuclear and actually allow the suits in the office to dictate the style of play and tactics!! Only at City could this happen.

I bet Fergurson, Louis Long Ball and Mourinho are secretly pissing themselves at the concept! Imagine Bruce Buck telling Mourinho "Look Jose, you're going to have to play a high line from now on, I don't care if it doesn't suit John Terry's game, we've got a marketing strategy in the far east that relies on us telling our opponents what tactics we're playing before the game."

Imagine Woodwood telling Van Gaal "Yeh sorry Louis, but our womens team play balls to feet so you're going to have to stop playing that diagonal ball to Fellaini because the fans of the women's team might not recognise both United's as being part of the same brand."

As I've said before, the concept itself is completely flawed. If you're Barcelona with a budget 10 times as big as 3rd biggest team in your league, play the same way every week, fuck all those shit teams. If you're playing in the PL that concept is flawed in itself.

I don't want to skate over the issue that Pellegrini is appalling, but the point I'm making is, our footballing strategy as a club is actually making it even more difficult for him.
I played in a very successful team who adopted a high line, but the difference was that 3 of the 4 defenders plus the keeper would give Usain Bolt a tuff time over 50 metres so we were very rarely, if ever caught out.

Personally I have no problem per se with having a CFA philosophy, but where it makes no sense is that Txiki also mentioned us playing a 433 formation which suits the personnel we have better whilst MP immediately switched us to a 442. I think the fact we play a formation that we don't have the players for added to the fact that we are constantly trying to force square pegs into round holes has more bearing of where we are now than playing a high line.

The high line leaves us exposed because with Yaya in a midfield 2, our central defenders get no protection, whereas in seasons past there would be Barry or NDJ sat right in front of them. These are elementary things and if MP wants to know how to fix them, all he has to do is look at the videos of our first title winning season because the core of that team is still the core of this team.

Just because we were hard to beat, didn't mean I didn't enjoy our football previously, far from it. The thing I enjoyed most was the fact other teams scoring against us was the exception rather than the rule which is no longer the case. It took 4 years to build that mentality and toughness and a season to erode it.

Great teams are built on great defences, the question is though, during his final season can The Engineer reconstruct the defensive solidity he demolished in his first season? I think its a queston that needs serious consideration as I don't think its a given that he'll be replaced any time soon as our current crisis and our failed transfer policy since 2012 will reflect on those directly above MP.

As a football club we totally deserve to be hammered week after week.

We have a Captain who is a joke and a wreck of a player who has not on one occasion this season led his team out like a Captain should. I'd seriously rather have Joey Barton wearing the armband or Carlos Tevez as they go into battle every game.

And then we have Yaya Toure who is patently unfit.

Have two players ever fallen further or faster in the game? Yaya Toure should have been told to go away and get fit. We could easily have made up some injury excuse.

Pellegrini should have dealt with these two players months ago.

I hope Pellegrini has already resigned. If not, then he has to be fired.

I firmly believe we need to take a very short term view for the sake of next season and beyond.
With 6 games left there is real danger of the Europa League next year and even finishing 4th isn't a guarantee of qualification to the group stages.
We need a quick boost which means a new manager in place immediately to shake this team up.
Whats to lose?
Limping out of Europe qualification with the attitude the players and managers showed yesterday or doing something about it now.
Simply give it to Vieira for the rest of the season and get some reaction from our players.
Simple choice

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Mancini fucked it up with Mancini's team.

Pellegrini won it with Mancini's team.

Pellegrini fucked it up with Mancini's team.

Spot the common denominator...

Crazy theory, perhaps said team fucked it for themselves.

Guardiola would do jack shit with this group of players.

Perhaps not the most popular theory but one I have sympathy for.

The spirit of the side with this shower of spineless wonders is definitely not right; is that down to something Pellegrini has or has not done? He will carry the can for it.

I thought he should have gone with a different formation yesterday but no formation will work if players make schoolboy errors and don't work hard enough.

You raised issue of fitness recently and if that is an underlying coaching problem, MP has to answer for that.

44years said:
I firmly believe we need to take a very short term view for the sake of next season and beyond.
With 6 games left there is real danger of the Europa League next year and even finishing 4th isn't a guarantee of qualification to the group stages.
We need a quick boost which means a new manager in place immediately to shake this team up.
Whats to lose?
Limping out of Europe qualification with the attitude the players and managers showed yesterday or doing something about it now.
Simply give it to Vieira for the rest of the season and get some reaction from our players.
Simple choice
I agree with what you are sayin but the pther question is does vieira want to take control of those 6 games if yes then id give him the reigns now . If not the top brass have a problem

44years said:
Whats to lose?
Simple choice
Yes, but why wasn't this option taken weeks back?

Losing a derby to a good team is not that bad in of itself, it's the results since January. We have two glaring problems that any outsider looking at the club would see a mile off. Humility and hard work. If you don't have this then how can you be Captain and vice-Captain?

Pellegrini has had months to deal with this and has done nothing

All season long we have had fans blaming the quality of signings like Mangala or Fernando. Or a none-existent 442. The problem is much more basic than that. Senior players got complacent and the manager was too small to deal with it.

What is the point of overseas clubs, and new stadia when you take your eye off The ball.

I said from the very first game that this team was complacent, and that comes from the senior players. So what were the managers at our club doing about it? Their should be some very red faces.

You can start putting it right by asking for Pellegrini's resignation immediately and asking Vieira to temporarily take over. If he gets City 3rd then he gets the job

Pellegrini is tactically inept and shows a distinct lack of passion. But players like Yaya Toure have really let him down. Yaya hasn't wanted to beat City since last summer. We need a full clear out starting with the manager asap and then the players in the summer.

Pellegrini, Yaya, Nasri, Kolorov, Dzecko, Clichy, Fernando, Navas, Jovetic, All need to go.

phil31 said:
Pellegrini is tactically inept and shows a distinct lack of passion. But players like Yaya Toure have really let him down. Yaya hasn't wanted to beat City since last summer. We need a full clear out starting with the manager asap and then the players in the summer.

Pellegrini, Yaya, Nasri, Kolorov, Dzecko, Clichy, Fernando, Navas, Jovetic, All need to go.
Nasri, Clichy, Navas, Fernando put a shift in when they play.

Why and how can you criticise Navas and Clichy? Those two run miles.

You don't get to be Real Madrid manager or managing a small club like Malaga in the Champions League by being inept as a coach.

But he should have confronted and dealt with his senior players months back.

Pellegrini won't do the honourable thing and resign - he'll lose a year's salary. So therefore he's thinking of the money - he has no honour. No honour - no pride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.