Dizzie Rascal

If your abit older you probably won't like him! But his last 3 singles have been massive! And all though he doesn't sound amazing live he creates an amazing atmosphere and the crowd going crazy! He is a great performer for that reason!

crap. i bought his first album and absolutely HATED it. The lesson? DOn't buy an album just because it won the Mercury prize

bizzbo said:
mammutly said:
You're not wrong.

But I think that rap/hip hop is more production dependent than most.

dunno about that, it all began as two turntables and a microphone. grime also came from live roots, and MC's rapping live on the pirate stations, so I don't buy that it's a particularly difficult genre to do live. perhaps it's just more suited to sweaty dark clubs than the main stage on a festival. personally I just think he's not much of a live artist he's taken the pop route now, fair enough the last single was a killer, but this crossover stuff is aimed at the radio, it has no live pedigree whatsoever, and his original stuff isn't really suited to the festival audience.

agreed.

bizzbo said:
mammutly said:
You're not wrong.

But I think that rap/hip hop is more production dependent than most.

dunno about that, it all began as two turntables and a microphone. grime also came from live roots, and MC's rapping live on the pirate stations, so I don't buy that it's a particularly difficult genre to do live. perhaps it's just more suited to sweaty dark clubs than the main stage on a festival. personally I just think he's not much of a live artist he's taken the pop route now, fair enough the last single was a killer, but this crossover stuff is aimed at the radio, it has no live pedigree whatsoever, and his original stuff isn't really suited to the festival audience.

Good points well made.

What I was referring to is that rap is harder to reproduce live than a lot of other music. You listen to a rap CD and it's often a long way from the live experience. Compare that with other music genres - say soft rock, jazz, soul even where you get the more similar performance.

I do think also that a lot of rap 'artists' are studio dependent for their commercial success. Dizzie Rascal amoung them.

Excellent point about the venue making the music though - that's absolutely bang on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.