Do we need to buy anyone ?

Petr Čech said:
just a left back, thats our weak spot in defence atm. and boj said he wants to stay in italy.
The only weak spot in our defence last night was Zabaleta. There's nothing wrong with Garrido and Bridge. Especially now that Mancini has the back 4 more organised and playing much narrower. There is no space inbetween centre back and full back anymore, so Garrido can show his true worth. He didn't put a foot wrong last night, and hasn't for some time. He was excellent right before Hughes decided to replace him aswell. Left back is not a weak link in my opinion. If Richards now becomes a centre back, we have Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Toure and Onuoha for centre back (and Boyata), which is more competition than any other team in the league. Right back is the only place you could argue that we need to sign someone. I don't rate Zabaleta, but then again, Richards and Onuoha could play there, even if it's not their best position.

Tricky_Trev said:
Petr Čech said:
just a left back, thats our weak spot in defence atm. and boj said he wants to stay in italy.
The only weak spot in our defence last night was Zabaleta. There's nothing wrong with Garrido and Bridge. Especially now that Mancini has the back 4 more organised and playing much narrower. There is no space inbetween centre back and full back anymore, so Garrido can show his true worth. He didn't put a foot wrong last night, and hasn't for some time. He was excellent right before Hughes decided to replace him aswell. Left back is not a weak link in my opinion. If Richards now becomes a centre back, we have Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Toure and Onuoha for centre back (and Boyata), which is more competition than any other team in the league. Right back is the only place you could argue that we need to sign someone. I don't rate Zabaleta, but then again, Richards and Onuoha could play there, even if it's not their best position.

So you reckon we might go for Darijo Srna from Shaktar now?

If we buy any more players in this window, they should only be good qualty squad players who can come in and do a job if we have injuries or suspensions. This squad has only lost twice all season, and we're hitting a good bit of form (ok the games we've had have all been winnable, but you can only beat whats infront of you) bringing in 'marquee signings' might disrupt the harmony of the squad and I think with all the players we have to come back from injury, a few of them will seem like new signings anyway. A short term back up for Given would be ideal though, if he gets injured or suspended, I think Taylor is nowehere near good enough to be relied on.

Bellamy's Caddy said:
If we buy any more players in this window, they should only be good qualty squad players who can come in and do a job if we have injuries or suspensions. This squad has only lost twice all season, and we're hitting a good bit of form (ok the games we've had have all been winnable, but you can only beat whats infront of you) bringing in 'marquee signings' might disrupt the harmony of the squad and I think with all the players we have to come back from injury, a few of them will seem like new signings anyway. A short term back up for Given would be ideal though, if he gets injured or suspended, I think Taylor is nowehere near good enough to be relied on.

Good call regarding Taylor. We need someone better as backup. Hopefully the management sees the same as us.

nimrod said:
Now we have basically 2 teams, (the one below didnt start last night) do we actually need to buy anyone?

Nedum Toure Lescott Bridge

Viera

SWP Ireland Robinho

Adebayor Santa Cruz

subs... Weiss Sylvinho Boyata

also to come back Jo, Boj, Hart

This was my thougts completely but you beat me to the OP.
I dont think we do need to buy anyone in Jan. I think there is still areas of the squad that we can improve in (LB already mentioned) but I would wait until the summer to that. We have enough quality cover to make the Top 4 this season then in the summer we have the Champs League carrot to dangle in front of any potential new players.
Jan is always over priced and the top teams dont want to sell. Wait til the world cup is over and then let Mancini spend.

thegoat10 said:
nimrod said:
Now we have basically 2 teams, (the one below didnt start last night) do we actually need to buy anyone?

Nedum Toure Lescott Bridge

Viera

SWP Ireland Robinho

Adebayor Santa Cruz

subs... Weiss Sylvinho Boyata

also to come back Jo, Boj, Hart

This was my thougts completely but you beat me to the OP.
I dont think we do need to buy anyone in Jan. I think there is still areas of the squad that we can improve in (LB already mentioned) but I would wait until the summer to that. We have enough quality cover to make the Top 4 this season then in the summer we have the Champs League carrot to dangle in front of any potential new players.
Jan is always over priced and the top teams dont want to sell. Wait til the world cup is over and then let Mancini spend.

There will always be options in the market in January though, especially in a World Cup year where players at different clubs want playing time to be able to reach the WC. Maybe top teams don't want to sell, but not every player at different clubs are happy, including players at top clubs, and clubs right beneath the top clubs also have good players. After all, 95% of the players currently at top clubs came from clubs beneath the top clubs.

We did a good January last season, we can tweak the squad similarly this season. I fancy Srna and another central midfielder with offensive firepower, like Hamsik or Van der Vaart.

VDV got injured at the weekend dont much about the other boy but I think we have enough midfield creativity at the moment - SWP, Petrov, Robi, Tevez will drop in when needed, Ireland, Gaz BAz can spread a ball nicely.
RB maybe but would be harsh on Zab.

thegoat10 said:
VDV got injured at the weekend dont much about the other boy but I think we have enough midfield creativity at the moment - SWP, Petrov, Robi, Tevez will drop in when needed, Ireland, Gaz BAz can spread a ball nicely.
RB maybe but would be harsh on Zab.

We only have Ireland who is a central attacking midfielder though, the rest you mention are wingers or forwards and since Mancini prefers at least 3 in central midfield, I do think we need one more player. Really a shame that Johnson got injured though, he would've been perfect, but there are options out there in the market. An all round midfielder able to both defend and attack would have been nice.

i think right back and centre back are long term positions to be filled.

Although the centre back one may be seized by somebody already in the squad

Egyptian said:
I think there is no need for any players in City, except for a pacy midfilder that likes to hold the ball in the fashion that Micah Richards did yesterday, and it would not be fair to the players in a team that have won against Arsenal and Chelsea in the league to go for more players. There is qualilty all over the squad. But Stephen Irelands monster passes, paired up with an attacking midfielder would be awesome. But to me there seems to be to many good players already. Gareth Barry is a silent hero in the midfield, breaking up attacks and winning many balls.

But don't we all agree that eventually we have to trade one of our wide players for a box-to-box/attacking midfielder?

Isn't that basically what Mancio also sees, given his desire to play at least 3 players in centre of the park?

For example: If Petrov leaves, we get another box-to-box, and then we have players able to do what Mancio wants, playing the diamond or switching one of the central midfielders in the diamond with one winger from time to time, that would be either SWP or Bellamy.

Either:

De Jong
Vieira - Barry
Ireland

Or:

De Jong Barry
SWP/Bellamy Ireland

RSC,Ade,Robbie and Tevez as our 4 strikers together with Bellamy who can play several positions.

Full backs to give width, meaning another RB to compete with Zab, like Darijo Srna, and Richards battling out with the other CBs for the chance to start.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.