Do we really care?

gkmcfc said:
On Talksport this morning the breakfast show ran a debate based on Beckham's comments about City never being as big as Utd, bleating on about tradition, history, trophies blah blah blah..

Do we honestly give a fook? I know I don't! They won the league a couple of hours before we won the cup - I wasn't even thinking about them as Tevez and Co lifted the cup.

For me, City are in the best position in a generation of eclipsing clubs like Utd going forward and this is what really gets to United fans and people like Beckham. It's like they feel we need to be reminded who we are and be put in our place. Despite the arrogance of people, we do have history and tradition - our honours board might not be anywhere near clubs like United or Liverpool at this time, but who is to say that in years to come it won't?

Either way I'll take winning more trophies than them over the next 10 years than anything they've achieved throughout history - that's what matters more to fans who follow their clubs, not what's happened in the past - unless your a scouser of course!

The problem is when people fall into the trap of history being linked with the success of a football club, its not, there are so many factors of a clubs DNA which make a rich and successful history a point noted by media outlets when we dropped to the second division. At that time the papers were awash with reports on how incredible it was a club with our history has fallen to such depths and now its we don't have any history.

Billy Merediths toothpick
Bert Trautmans broken neck
Champions one year, relagated the next
100 goals scored, 100 goals conceded in one season
Record attendance at Maine Road 84,569
All English team as champions

Every clubs history is special to its own set of supporters. I wouldnt change the moments ive experienced as a City fan with any other supporters experience and when reading about the club I am amazed at the incredible stories linked to the football club.

History equates to far more than success. Its a typical comment of the sky generation as if football started in 1993. Take Notts County the oldest football club, do they have they no history?

Fucking bored of hearing these Rags (or Scouse or London), know-nothing cunts going on and on and on and on about City's history. Here's some history for you Beckham you fucking poncy cockerny wide boy ****:

1880-1955- Manchester City (and in our other names) were a bigger club than the Rags (and in their other names) by quite a long long way!
1955-1983- Manchester City and the Rags both big clubs in their own right, neither bigger than the other.
1983-present- Manchester City see a huge decline while the Rags become bigger than they ever dreamed of back when they were getting just 4000 in Old Trafford in the 1930's!

So throughout football history City have been a bigger club than the Rags for 75 of them years, we were on a par for 28 years and the Rags have been the bigger club for 28 years!
Hahahahaha good point well made Mr Beckham; pfft!

I couldn't care less what Beckham (or anyone else) thinks ....

the fuckin' lot of em' are obsessed with City .. full stop !

it didn't take Beckham long to desert his beloved Swamp when Real Madrid came calling , did it ?

My experience of City is that they certainly do not have any history:

Going to my first game in the late 70s, with joy, excitement and anticipation
Getting lifted over turnstiles and sitting on my Dad's knee
Watching my hero Dennis Tueart scoring four goals in a game
Getting excited at buying players like Denya, Francis, McDonald, Reeves
Seeing the graceful Alex Williams pouncing like a cat on to the ball
Watching us beat Charlton to get promoted (48k yeah right)
The wonderful Clive Wilson's diving header at the swamp
Singing 'Bermuda Triangle' to Clayton Blackmore
Seeing us lift the FA Youth Cup in front of 18k fans and seeing those young players make it to the first team
Nervously making my way on to the Kippax as a teenager
Losing my glasses on the Kippax after a last minute winner
Bloke with a pipe always stood in front of me no matter where I stood
Beating Huddersfield 10-1 then the epic FA cup tie the next year going to two replays
John Gidman's hair, Tony Grealish's beard, Paul Stewart's Perm
Going over a year without an away win and beating Bradford to end the run
Bournemouth 3-3, Bradford 1-1
Playing a Derby then a Cup Final the next day
Getting a milk bottle thrown at me inside Old Trafford
Taking in around 50 games in one season
Everyone knowing that 200 Rags were in the North Stand a week before the 5-1, apart from GMP
Oldfield (2), Bishop, Lake, Hinchliffe
Machin's Marvels V Fergies Flops T Shirts
Arguing with my brother until blue in the face that David White was not a striker
Bananas, Frankenstein's, Crocodiles, Skeletons, Frogs, Paddling Pools, Lilos

And that was just up to the end of the 80s. Yeah, City have no fucking history.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.