Do you pinch from self service counters?

Nope.

I never usually have too little to use them. No way am I going to be able to place all my goods in that little 'bagging area'.

Many years ago now, back in the 70's, I got a job in my local Safeway supermarket aged 16, and I was told at the time 3% was added onto prices to cover the cost of shoplifting.

We had a pair of store detectives that came along a few times a month, posing as a couple when they were on the shop floor, and every time they went down there, they were back up in 20 minutes or so with someone they had caught nicking stuff.

The Police were called, they always turned up, and the offenders were prosecuted.

That doesn't happen now, and I have no idea how much shoplifting costs us these days, but I suspect it's more than 3%.

Many years ago now, back in the 70's, I got a job in my local Safeway supermarket aged 16, and I was told at the time 3% was added onto prices to cover the cost of shoplifting.

We had a pair of store detectives that came along a few times a month, posing as a couple when they were on the shop floor, and every time they went down there, they were back up in 20 minutes or so with someone they had caught nicking stuff.

The Police were called, they always turned up, and the offenders were prosecuted.

That doesn't happen now, and I have no idea how much shoplifting costs us these days, but I suspect it's more than 3%.
Here in the US at least, shrinkage is about 1-2%. Most of it is also theft by employees, rather than shoppers. It’s one of those things that the right-wing media like to play up as an indicator of the world going to hell in a hand basket, but it’s frankly only trending at historical levels.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.