Do You Really Have Control?

JoeMercer'sWay

PM if interested in starting fan kit consultation
As the thread title says, do you really have control of your life? Do you really make your own decisions and exercise your free will to shape your life and do what you want, or is it really just a myth?

The reason I ask is because I've been contemplating the possibility that life is actually pre-determined and that possibly we have no control over our futures. What's to say that everything you believe, think or want to achieve is implanted as an idea by something far beyond our means of discovery, that actually controls us and chooses our path? What is free will? what is our conscience? is it us telling us what's right, or something else telling us what's right? where do you get an idea from? they come to you, who's to say something else hasn't planted that idea?.

The key to this is the fact that we are created to believe that we are in control, that we can choose our path in life and make our own decisions, but is it just a fad? you can't choose where, at what time or to whom you are born, you can't control your upbringing, it's dictated to you, and that makes you the person you are, and from there you can only do things within reason, why because for the vast majority something holds them back, and the exceptions, well maybe they are created to be different and to bring some entertainment and excitement to it all? Maybe we are only able to discover what we are allowed to, and believe what is subconsciously dictated to us?

If I lost you in the first 5 seconds of this, then sorry, but really this is an argument of the standard model against everything being set by something beyond us that we will never discover, not necessarily a God, but we could just be a creation by another race in a far more giant setup we will never comprehend. What do you think?

JoeMercer'sWay said:
As the thread title says, do you really have control of your life? Do you really make your own decisions and exercise your free will to shape your life and do what you want, or is it really just a myth?

The reason I ask is because I've been contemplating the possibility that life is actually pre-determined and that possibly we have no control over our futures. What's to say that everything you believe, think or want to achieve is implanted as an idea by something far beyond our means of discovery, that actually controls us and chooses our path? What is free will? what is our conscience? is it us telling us what's right, or something else telling us what's right? where do you get an idea from? they come to you, who's to say something else hasn't planted that idea?.

The key to this is the fact that we are created to believe that we are in control, that we can choose our path in life and make our own decisions, but is it just a fad? you can't choose where, at what time or to whom you are born, you can't control your upbringing, it's dictated to you, and that makes you the person you are, and from there you can only do things within reason, why because for the vast majority something holds them back, and the exceptions, well maybe they are created to be different and to bring some entertainment and excitement to it all? Maybe we are only able to discover what we are allowed to, and believe what is subconsciously dictated to us?

If I lost you in the first 5 seconds of this, then sorry, but really this is an argument of the standard model against everything being set by something beyond us that we will never discover, not necessarily a God, but we could just be a creation by another race in a far more giant setup we will never comprehend. What do you think?

This morning i woke up, decided i needed a cup of tea and a fag so i went for it. What a rebel. After that i thought that i would go back to bed with my laptop and play some Championship Manager. So i did.

Seems to me i am in control this morning.

The best laid plans o' Mice and Men aft go awry...

No one has control of their lives.

Is that the web effect thing, that every single action past and present has been predetermined but the system is so complex we as humans can't accuraetly comprehend it?

If you mean generally in life, then anyone who works for a living isn't fully in control of their life; let's be honest how many people would choose to spend their life working?

I guess we're all "in the system" i've wondered a few times about what it would be like to be completely self sufficient; move to somewhere like Figi; great climate, grow your own food, filter your own water... have no responsibilities other than to yourself.

BimboBob said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

This morning i woke up, decided i needed a cup of tea and a fag so i went for it. What a rebel. After that i thought that i would go back to bed with my laptop and play some Championship Manager. So i did.

of course, because that's what you think you want to do, which is all in your design, make-up etc. which you cannot control, so really, is it you, or is it something beyond you telling you subconsciously what to do?

JoeMercer'sWay said:
BimboBob said:

of course, because that's what you think you want to do, which is all in your design, make-up etc. which you cannot control, so really, is it you, or is it something beyond you telling you subconsciously what to do?

I don't think so otherwise i'd have gone to work instead of now getting up and popping to the pub for lunch.

JoeMercer'sWay said:

You're not married, are you?

sweynforkbeard said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

You're not married, are you?

No I'm not, give me a chance to live first and run out of imagination mate :)

and bimbo, maybe you not going to work is just to make your life more interesting, because it would be boring for the whole system if we were all completely dictated to do exactly as what would be expected in a perfect, impartial system. We're not machines.

We all live as active members of a pre-defined society. Society conatrains us all, and controls the way our lives develop.

As children our lives are controlled by our parents, whose actions are controlled by government and law. We attend school, because we have to, we sit exams, because we have to.

Eventually education is finished (the point at which this occurs is partly controlled by ouselves, but also by society) and it is time to earn money in order to survive. We all need money, for basic necessities first and foremost, and for luxuries thereafter. Society has developed from the initial barter system to the point where currency is exchanged for goods, we have no say in this, no control over it.

Our lives are, in the main, very much controlled, as are our actions. We have small, fleeting moments of control, but even then we are making decisions constrained by a set of rules society has implemented.

Matty said:
We all live as active members of a pre-defined society. Society conatrains us all, and controls the way our lives develop.

As children our lives are controlled by our parents, whose actions are controlled by government and law. We attend school, because we have to, we sit exams, because we have to.

Eventually education is finished (the point at which this occurs is partly controlled by ouselves, but also by society) and it is time to earn money in order to survive. We all need money, for basic necessities first and foremost, and for luxuries thereafter. Society has developed from the initial barter system to the point where currency is exchanged for goods, we have no say in this, no control over it.

Our lives are, in the main, very much controlled, as are our actions. We have small, fleeting moments of control, but even then we are making decisions constrained by a set of rules society has implemented.

I am now standing naked, scratching my balls, in my bedroom window. Are you saying society wants this horrible sight?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.