Do you remember going to this game?

lazy lil

I seem to recall going to an 'away' game at Old Trafford sometime in the early 80's but it wasnt against United.
Might have been Bury or Luton in the League cup remember it was a night match.

Anybody know who we played and when it was?

I was there too. It was Bury in the league cup sometime around 1985. Can't be sure, but think we got a lucky draw and went through over two legs.

I'm fairly sure that we played a cup game against Luton there for some reason and won , think it was 3-2 ...... i'll try to check up on it.

Just seem to have a faint memory of it , could be wrong though.

However i can also faintly remember a game we played against Bury there too!

Thanks.
Luton were the team i recall although a few lads i met in town after the Bolton game on Sunday reckon it was Bury.
I think the attendance was about 14000

We did play Luton at a night match at OT. Was a second replay league cup game but i think it was at the arse end of the 70's sometime. And it was a shit crowd as i remember being in the Stretford end for it.

Right , have checked ....... we're all right ..... in our own way!

As you state that it was probably in the eighties then the match the lads are thinking off WAS indeed against Bury ......

25/9/1985 ...... Bury 1 City 2 (at Old Trafford) ....... Football League Cup 2nd Round , 1st leg
Scorers ..... Melrose/Wilson
Att ...... 11,377

We won the second leg against Bury at Maine Road a fortnight later , also 2-1 ..... Lillis/Melrose.

However we DID beat Luton 3-2 (at Old Trafford) in the seventies ... on 9/11/1977
This was in the Football League Cup 3rd Round , 2nd Replay!
Scorers ...... Channon/kidd/Tueart(pen)
Att ...... 13,043

We ALSO beat Walsall 4-0 (at Old Trafford) in the seventies too ..... on 22/10/1973
This was in the Football League Cup 2nd Round.
Scorers ...... Lee 3(2 pens)/Bell
Att 13,646

I was there in the Stretford end. There were a couple of hundred Scum fans in the main stand paddock. They legged it after the game.

I seem to remember it was Tuearts last game before the went to New York Cosmos.

The Bury match was the "away" leg of the 2-legged tie, it was moved there after GMP imposed a very low capacity on Gigg Lane - possibly something to do with the aftermath of the Bradford fire earlier in the year.

For the other two 2nd replays it was the chosen "neutral" ground.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.