Do you remember when footy boots were black?

My daughter plays for City Girls and they have to wear black boots, even for training in.

MSP said:
I never understood why boots are not part of kit in first place and why clubs and not players are not being paid to promote boot brands.

It's one of most not logical thing in football for me.

It doesn't make any sense at all - you're playing for club the club is the only reason you are able to show yourself to the world, you can't play football on your own, it's not tennis and yet you're allowed to wear your own boots and to be directly paid by companies to do so.

Proper bollocks.

I agree with what you are saying, but I guess the argument would be that the player needs to be in boots he feels comfortable in, and that helps his game.
Which of course is bollocks in practice, as they choose their boots by the manufacturer paying the most to promote their brand. But it would be the argument, should a club all of a sudden, dictate that all players wore black Umbro boots from now on.

jayfx said:
MSP said:
I never understood why boots are not part of kit in first place and why clubs and not players are not being paid to promote boot brands.

It's one of most not logical thing in football for me.

It doesn't make any sense at all - you're playing for club the club is the only reason you are able to show yourself to the world, you can't play football on your own, it's not tennis and yet you're allowed to wear your own boots and to be directly paid by companies to do so.

Proper bollocks.

I agree with what you are saying, but I guess the argument would be that the player needs to be in boots he feels comfortable in, and that helps his game.
Which of course is bollocks in practice, as they choose their boots by the manufacturer paying the most to promote their brand. But it would be the argument, should a club all of a sudden, dictate that all players wore black Umbro boots from now on.

of course it's bollocks, all main boot producers are good enough to make boots that would make them feel comfortable.

It won't change though unless all clubs would make a deal to stop that practice as one club on it's own would never sign top players if decided to change it.

Jnr Kisby said:
Pigeonho said:
My first pair were Puma King. Loved those fuckers.
Back in 1991 during one P.E. lesson, some fucking idiot at school forgot his boots and tried to get away with playing in cricket spikes. 'What harm are they gonna do', he asked.

these beauties (but with proper metal capped studs!)

44137006-n.jpg

Im still waiting for the City Puma kit....

dont worry, fella next door who knows the janitor is close friends with the kitman who was listening closely at the door and ......well...... you know how the story goes........

I have an argument with my son every 6 months or so in Sports Direct about the colour of boots. I say black. He usually wants whatever pink, green, purple monstrosities are about. We usually reach a compromise of mostly black, but only because I hold the purse strings.

I remember in the 70's getting a pair of Patrick footie boots with steel toe caps from Oldham market. Didn't do my touch much good, but it made my mates think twice before trying to tackle me.

samharris said:
Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Do I remember them when they were black? Jeez, I remember them when they were brown and had to be dubbined and the studs came with nails sticking out of them and you had to hammer then in using a cobbler's last!

Then theres the balls.. they would quadruple their weight when wet.. heaven help you if you headed it.

I did. One Saturday morning on Greenbank, school trial for St. Gregs. I was never any good and got put in for about five minutes at centre half! And the ball looped up and I thought if I was gonna make anything of this trial I had to head it - thought me brains had been shoved down me windpipe and outta me arse. Staggered around for a couple of minutes wondering how I was gonna get home!

Every season I buy 2 pair of boots. One pair of mouldies and one pair of studs. It takes ages as I refuse to wear anything other than at least 80% black. My opinion on amateur footy is if a player turns up in bright coloured boots and he plays shite it is amplified 10 fold. Me being a defender when I see a
Forward with bright boots I go in that little bit harder, dunno why?

Matt the Giant said:
The entire squad, as a part of their uniform wearing black boots (away) or white (home), would be awesome. It would visually unite 25 individuals into a group.
But commercial aspects unfortunately makes this an impossible scenario.

I remember when Kun first came to us and played with all black boots for a while, - looked cool as hell.

Thats what the kits do

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.