Do you support the RMT?

Apart from "fast-tracked supplers of dud PPE", off-shore account holders, "bosses", whose income has soared, board members of the privatised utilities, landlords, debt recovery/money lenders, the insurance cartel, mp's families and friends, disaster capitalists, vulture funds, and tory party finances. The other 99% of the population have been utterly shat on, in particular the victims of the UC robbery, women whose pension entitlement has been robbed , and the majority of civil servants.
I do scratch my head at times.
If the Country is in such a state and 99% of the population have been utterly shat on, as you put it, how on Earth do they keep getting elected in increasing numbers.
Is it down to they are very good at hoodwinking the voters or, having the opposition in power doesn’t bare thinking about by the majority.
It must be one or the other surely.

If the Country is in such a state and 99% of the population have been utterly shat on, as you put it, how on Earth do they keep getting elected in increasing numbers.
Is it down to they are very good at hoodwinking the voters or, having the opposition in power doesn’t bare thinking about by the majority.

Is it something to do with a voting system that gives a party with 40% of the votes 56% of the seats?

They’re pretty good at the former given the current state of the majority of the print media in this country. The latter would have been true for a while too.

Mainly though, they’ve been able to set the agenda the last few elections and we haven’t had one that wasn’t mainly about Brexit since Cameron won the majority lost coalition. Pretty sure May lost seats though.

As one poster has said we have a FPTP system which allows a party to govern without a majority vote.

We also have a pro tory media hell bent on demonising any opposition and failing to scrutinise the real tory f*ck ups.

On top of that a lot of the UK population are thick as pig shit and do not know what they're voting for because "The Sun" or "The Mail" has influenced their decision by printing complete bollocks.

Tory voters really don't understand the wealth gap between a lot of tory MPs and themselves and also don't acknowledge who Ministers truly serve.

No neoliberalism doesn’t assume higher inflation is damaging for developed economies, only that high inflation is.

Why would you want high inflation anyway? Inflation of 40% only means everything, including your wages goes up ~40% YoY and your cost of borrowing is 40+%. Only a moron would want that world.

Regarding the striking train folk… they want to front load their pay increase… so let’s say they get the 7%, train fairs will go up, so I’ll want 7% as will nurses, fireman etc… so costs go up 7%… next year they say inflation is 7% as costs go up to recoup pay deals… but my members don’t want to stay the same so we want 8%… and everyone else follows suit…and prices go up… the year after its 15% and so on and so forth. I understand why they want to front load it as they are paying out the costs now… but in reality a better bargaining position would be previous years inflation + 1% or 1% whichever is the greater. Not sure what their previous deal was but applying it retrospectively can’t be said to be inflationary but rather it would react to inflation … and I think everyone would agree that’s a pretty fair deal. We all know train fares etc are going to go up anyway to cover inflation irrespective of this strike action.

These are fair points. Unfortunately, I am pushed for time and am unable to do more than paint in broad brush strokes so I'll just reiterate where I stand right now on this. I have highlighted point 4 because that relates the most to the theme of this thread.

1. Since the late 70's neoliberalism has been in the ascendant.

2. It has resulted in rising levels of inequality pretty much everywhere it has been applied and has not delivered the levels of economic growth that were achieved prior to that time when Keynesian economics was the preferred model. That growth was actually higher even during the period of stagflation in the 70's.

3. Much economic policy-making from this angle is based on the model of homo economicus - the view that humans are narrowly individualistic, rational but self-interested creatures. This view has been shown to be demonstrably false by a range of multidisciplinary research.

4. It is the inequalities engendered by neoliberalism that have brought us to this point and the current strikes.

5. The need for facts in politics is predicated on a vision of a better future. They are required to underpin an aspiring politician’s vision, to demonstrate that it is achievable and will not collapse.

6.But what happens when the notion that free markets can deliver prosperity collapses, as it did in 2008? What do you turn to when you start to realize that this project has only increased economic inequality globally?

7. When that future disappears, what is the point of facts? Why would you want them when they tell you that your children will be poorer than you, or that climate change will have maybe the last word? Why should you trust the purveyors of facts, namely, 'left-wing' academics or that cabal of scientists who work for the IPCC?

8. Here's a possible answer: you might turn to politicians who make a show of disparaging facts, who liberate us from any appeal to an evidence-based future. Instead, you turn to what Tim Snyder has referred to as 'the politics of eternity', and Svetlana Boym as 'restorative nostalgia'.

9. If you are Putin, you get your media to promote a nostalgic vision of a restored Russian empire and start invading other countries to bring this about. If you are Trump, it involves making America great again. Turkish and Hungarian media promote similar phantoms, and with us in the UK it's about marching brightly into a future in which we have taken back control of something or other and restored old weights and measures.

10. Of course, there's nothing wrong with getting a bit nostalgic now and again. It only becomes dangerous when it entails the striving to recover a lost past in a manner that substitutes an unreflective emotivism for critical thinking, and the denial of an unpalatable future.

11. It is this type of nostalgia or 'politics of eternity' that is all that is left, and the last thing that is required by those who peddle these fabricated, chimerical pasts, are facts.

12. This is the brand of politics that has arguably taken hold in Moscow, in Budapest in Washington DC and now the UK. It's a distracting last gasp, one based very much on creating an 'Us' and 'Them' mentality, and that might even need shoring up with a bit more authoritarianism when it too starts to go sour. It is no surprise to me that it has summoned up all this discontent that is issuing in strike action.

Got to leave it there.

There's one last thing: I don't hold the views I describe above in any way rigidly. All I have tried to do is say what I think is going on right now and I could be wrong about a lot of this stuff.

As one poster has said we have a FPTP system which allows a party to govern without a majority vote.

We also have a pro tory media hell bent on demonising any opposition and failing to scrutinise the real tory f*ck ups.

On top of that a lot of the UK population are thick as pig shit and do not know what they're voting for because "The Sun" or "The Mail" has influenced their decision by printing complete bollocks.

Tory voters really don't understand the wealth gap between a lot of tory MPs and themselves and also don't acknowledge who Ministers truly serve.
Thanks for that.
A lot are as thick as pig shit, hmm and don’t know what they are voting for.
You do of course.
I thought I was was supposed to be the arrogant one.

Is it something to do with a voting system that gives a party with 40% of the votes 56% of the seats?
The Labour Party when in power had plenty of opportunity to change the system but to my knowledge they have always been against PR.
You only have to look at the likes of Israel, Italy etc when there is no overall majority.
Chaos ensues.

I don't think 'democracy' works. By definition, 50% of voters are below average intelligence. And a person of average intelligence isn't that bright. There is way too much scope for manipulation by the media.

This is made worse by the FPTP voting system, which allows a minority to elect a (clear) majority. Then their obsessions ride roughshod over the rest of us. No government in recent years has been elected by even a bare majority - unless you count the Cameron/Clegg coalition.

What amazes me is not that people are dissatisfied - but that there aren't a fucking sight more dissatisfied.

How you get from where we are to being a modern, forward-looking country, I have no idea. Maybe we should outsource the government to Sheikh Mansour for 20 years and see what happens.

What you do is manufacture an electoral tool that energises people to vote for you that is independent to your total incompetence in government. We know this issue as Brexit. You then do nothing about the issue but leave the population to squabble with each other for years so they'll vote for you again.

I mean bloody hell constituencies in places like Yorkshire and others in the north voted completely against their best interests to vote Tory for the first time in 2019, all because of Brexit. Has this government however delivered the Brexit they wanted and were told they'd get? Have they balls.

Thankfully the next election will likely not be fought on Brexit so let's see what happens over the next 2 years. I honestly wouldn't discount these twats taking us full on into war with Russia.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.