Do you use the internet for recommendations when buying stuff?

i,m in the kitchen business ,and pretty certain that big companies like Howdens , Wren etc etc manipulate online reviews by demanding the review site has verified the purchase , of course its easier for them to remove it than go chasing the customer for proof of purchase etc, also believe strongly they fabricate good reviews . Its tempting to believe all you read online but I know its far from foolproof !!

Yeah, but the problem is that people aren't usually qualified to give an opinion. When someone buys a new TV, what they're generally comparing it to is their old TV, so of course they're going to think it's better than a 10 year old model. Even reviewers that test lots of products can't really tell you if it's going to last. I can't tell you how many times I've bought a phone (well I can: three times) only for some software update to ruin it 6 months down the line, or for it to randomly no longer connect to the PC, or some other random problem that you only find out about after you've owned it for a while. Or how many headphones I've bought with great reviews that have broken within a few months. But yeah, it's good for certain things, like pointing out any really obvious design flaws or comparing image quality of cameras in different situations, for example.

Planned obsolescence is the thing now, when an obsolete product used to be a manufacturers worst nightmare. Gotta have the new shape, .5 mm bigger screen iris entry system new shaped body matching trim and bollox like that.

If a bloke tells me that these underpants will softly caress and cradle your balls while at the same time wick bag sweat away, I'm buying them.

Here ya go. I haven't tried them because I am not spending this much on underwear, but I see people buying these like crazy in the pro shop (I work one evening a week at a golf course).

https://www.2undr.eu/?___store=en&___from_store=en

2UNDR features the unique and patented Joey Pouch construction to support your equipment in comfort and style. The innovative design elevates and separates a man’s most valuable assets to deliver the perfect fit while preventing unwanted skin contact.

The pouch also delivers improved airflow keeping you cool when involved in strenuous activity or simply going about a busy day.

The No-Drip-Tip material lines the Joey Pouch of our Swing Shift and Gear Shift range. Through a process called capillary action, the outer layer draws moisture off of the surface of the skin and spreads it across a large area. Meanwhile, the hydrophobic inner layer repels moisture away from the skin.

This combination of pulling and repelling mixed with premium breathable design accelerates evaporation keeping you dry and comfortable.

I check reviews out on stuff I am buying, but only for reference as many are off the wall and written by some right loons and mard arses.
Hotel reviews arey favourite, people moan about the trivialest things.

just chose a new lawn mower, i exclusively used the reviews to choose which one I wanted , i actually narrowed it down to 3 all the same make but different sizes so im off to B & Q in a bit to decide,:)

All the time, wouldnt buy anything without extensively checking reviews, but you've got to remember everyone has very different standards of what's acceptable. Especially hotels on trip advisor etc, we've been to some great hotels that people have absolutely slated.

Definitely. Even in the early days of community reviews like yelp etc, I quickly concluded you have to really scrutinize reviews- often a neg/pos review is largely prejudiced by the reviewer for aspects that may never apply to others. Trip advisor is particularly poor this way, I’m often left bewildered by how many unhappy & pretentious reviewers there are. But it’s natural that most common reason to review something is based on one extreme experience or another- hence you have to dig deep into reviews

I still am reminded of a Thai restaurant with stellar reviews only to discover it was more Chinese food than Thai

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.