Does anybody feel “different” since Istanbul?

I’ve said this to a few people since coming home.

Since getting back I feel completely different. Not like a weight has been lifted per se, but an innate weird feeling like the pinnacle has been reached. Maybe along the lines of “What next?” Or “Nothing will ever top this.”

Sounds absolutely ridiculous I know. But in someways it’s like I feel completely differently towards everything. I blame Nevizade and its capturing of souls on that Friday and Saturday night.
Felt the same! For decades we were wanting a trophy, then we did that, so Premier, smashed that in the best way possible, then Champs for YEARS. We've done it, and a treble to boot, so I had a moment of, "what now?".
But, I'm back to wanting more. Do it again, dominate, quad, everything. It's fucking fantastic!
I remember back when I was 11 telling my United mates that I WILL see City win the league before I die. Never, ever, back then, did I believe we would do what we have done the last 12 years.
Drink it in.

I was drinking in Taksim area until 7 am. Not getting drunk, just very happy. The nobs now only have "the charges" filed by David Gill, Wenger, and the Fenway Group.

Yep. Never felt as relaxed about City as I do right now. Obviously don't want it all to go tits up but like, that last itch has been scratched and I'm gonna need this season to go badly wrong for the itch to come back. I'm totally at peace.
I was going to post a new thread on this topic but then I remembered this current one already existed and that I'd already posted in it, so I'll just post an update instead.

That itch - the feeling that something was missing - just hasn't come back. I was waiting for our first defeat of the season, just to see how I felt in the aftermath, but nothing's changed since that night in Istanbul. Obviously I still care about City and I was a bit disappointed in the moment after the Newcastle and Wolves games - but the horrid aftertaste that hits the following day when you wake up and remember City lost the previous day, it just didn't arrive on either occasion. Even when we lost at Arsenal it washed over me and then it was out of my system by the time I'd started cooking my tea on that Sunday night.

Don't get me wrong, after seeing us beat Stoke at Wembley in 2011, I would have been completely fine with City never winning another trophy. After the QPR game I really thought I'd seen it all. I could have died happy with City never winning anything else in my lifetime, never mind the European Cup. But there was still the lingering feeling that there was just a little piece missing, one more mountain left to climb even after all the peaks we'd reached beforehand. Since the full-time whistle went in Istanbul it feels like that feeling has gone. There's nothing to really want for anymore. We reached the pinnacle.

The enormity of what we achieved last season still hasn't quite sunk in. Just as an example, I've recently been watching the Beckham documentary on Netflix with my fiancée who's not really into football. I was explaining to her what the Treble means to football fans and in particular to United fans. And then I finished the sentence with "We're the only other team in English football to have done it as well". It was one of those moments where I was briefly taken out of the conversation I was having and just smiled contentedly to myself. Two clubs in the entire history of English football have won the Treble and City - Shitty City - are one of them.

And this week we've obviously said goodbye to a club legend in Franny Lee. He won (the equivalent of, in the modern day) the Premier League, the FA Cup, the League Cup, and the Europa League. The adulation and respect he's received this week, and the fondness City fans of old for that period between 1968 and 1976, and the stories people have been telling about him - it's had me thinking about just how lucky we are to have witnessed the last decade and to have lived through last season. It's made me wonder how my generation will remember Kevin De Bruyne or David Silva or Ruben Dias when their days are over.

I don't think I'll ever really get my head around just what we've just done. Another title, a third in a row. Beating United in the FA Cup final while scoring the fastest ever goal in the most famous game in the English football calendar. Then finally, finally reaching the promised land and winning the European Cup final. The actual European Cup. That's on top of the Aguero goal against QPR, the 100 points season, and the rest. It does not get better than this as a football fan. And I think Rodri's goal, plus the final whistle, was the moment where a switch just flicked. There's just nothing to complain about anymore.

Last edited:
I was going to post a new thread on this topic but then I remembered this current one already existed and that I'd already posted in it, so I'll just post an update instead.

That itch - the feeling that something was missing - just hasn't come back. I was waiting for our first defeat of the season, just to see how I felt in the aftermath, but nothing's changed since that night in Istanbul. Obviously I still care about City and I was a bit disappointed in the moment after the Newcastle and Wolves games - but the horrid aftertaste that hits the following day when you wake up and remember City lost the previous day, it just didn't arrive on either occasion. Even when we lost at Arsenal it washed over me and then it was out of my system by the time I'd started cooking my tea on that Sunday night.

Don't get me wrong, after seeing us beat Stoke at Wembley in 2011, I would have been completely fine with City never winning another trophy. After the QPR game I really thought I'd seen it all. I could have died happy with City never winning anything else in my lifetime, never mind the European Cup. But there was still the lingering feeling that there was just a little piece missing, one more mountain left to climb even after all the peaks we'd reached beforehand. Since the full-time whistle went in Istanbul it feels like that feeling has gone. There's nothing to really want for anymore. We reached the pinnacle.

The enormity of what we achieved last season still hasn't quite sunk in. Just as an example, I've recently been watching the Beckham documentary on Netflix with my fiancée who's not really into football. I was explaining to her what the Treble means to football fans and in particular to United fans. And then I finished the sentence with "We're the only other team in English football to have done it as well". It was one of those moments where I was briefly taken out of the conversation I was having and just smiled contentedly to myself. Two clubs in the entire history of English football have won the Treble and City - Shitty City - are one of them.

And this week we've obviously said goodbye to a club legend in Franny Lee. He won (the equivalent of, in the modern day) the Premier League, the FA Cup, the League Cup, and the Europa League. The adulation and respect he's received this week, and the fondness City fans of old for that period between 1968 and 1976, and the stories people have been telling about him - it's had me thinking about just how lucky we are to have witnessed the last decade and to have lived through last season. It's made me wonder how my generation will remember Kevin De Bruyne or David Silva or Ruben Dias when their days are over.

I don't think I'll ever really get my head around just what we've just done. Another title, a third in a row. Beating United in the FA Cup final while scoring the fastest ever goal in the most famous game in the English football calendar. Then finally, finally reaching the promised land and winning the European Cup final. The actual European Cup. That's on top of the Aguero goal against QPR, the 100 points season, and the rest. It does not get better than this as a football fan. And I think Rodri's goal, plus the final whistle, was the moment where a switch just flicked. There's just nothing to complain about anymore.
Have you seen the matchday forum?!

I think I’m hungrier than ever. Finally winning the CL has made me feel like I want another. Good teams win something once, great teams win it again and again! And now we have won it once, I feel like we’ve taken a step up as a club in stature and that we should be aiming higher than ever.

Winning that first one feels like we’ve put to bed the quarter final losses to Liverpool Spurs and Lyon, two Madrid semi losses and the final loss to Chelsea as well as getting that monkey off our backs and for burying UEFA and the Cartel at the CAS. That win in Istanbul felt like it wasn’t just a win against Inter, but a win against every ****.

Now I’m almost itching to win it again. To win it for the pure joy of winning and not for burying underlying feelings or previous disappointments or for any monkeys. To be the first English team in the CL era to win it back-to-back. With the final being at Wembley n’all.

I’ve also got that same kind of feeling about the record breaking four PLs in a row. Never felt like I’ve wanted a title more. Four in a row puts us above everyone in England!

Doing both would be the first (and second only) time that a treble winning team has retained the league and Champions League the following season since Ajax in 1973 and we’d be the first in the modern era.

Like I said at the top, I’m hungrier than ever!

Last edited by a moderator:

You are me in disguise and I claim my 5 pounds.

We are MASSIVE

I think I’m hungrier than ever. Finally winning the CL has made me feel like I want another. Good teams win something once, great teams win it again and again! And now we have won it once, I feel like we’ve taken a step up as a club in stature and that we should be aiming higher than ever.

Winning that first one feels like we’ve put to bed the quarter final losses to Liverpool Spurs and Lyon, two Madrid semi losses and the final loss to Chelsea as well as getting that monkey off our backs and for burying UEFA and the Cartel at the CAS. That win in Istanbul felt like it wasn’t just a win against Inter, but a win against every ****.

Now I’m almost itching to win it again. To win it for the pure joy of winning and not for burying underlying feelings or previous disappointments or for any monkeys. To be the first English team in the CL era to win it back-to-back. With the final being at Wembley n’all.

I’ve also got that same kind of feeling about the record breaking four PLs in a row. Never felt like I’ve wanted a title more. Four in a row puts us above everyone in England!

Doing both would be the first (and second only) time that a treble winning team has retained the league and Champions League the following season since Ajax in 1973 and we’d be the first in the modern era.

Like I said at the top, I’m hungrier than ever!
Yes it’s like we can enjoy the next one knowing we have now won pretty much everything and if we don’t it’s not the end of the World anymore.

I think we have targeted the CL PL and CWC this season. I hope we can relax but not lose motivation. That’s what the big clubs have always done. Real Madrid are so used to winning the CL they play the team not the occasion. This is what we should be able to do now because we know what it takes.

Seen it, done it, learned how to do it, do it again.

That said it does seem that I’m annoyed after a defeat less time than before we beat Inter! I think that’s partly because I have ultimate faith in Pep and the team as I’ve seen it all before and I know we will improve.

Last edited:
Am I pleased?
Yes. Very.
Do I now feel that City are qualified as a great club?
Nope, not now. I always felt it.

Thinking a bit more about it, let me just add this, though. When I look back at some of the trajectories of previous winners of the old European Cup, and some winners of the modern Champions League, I honestly think they had it pretty easy. Sometimes, they probably weren't the best team in Europe. It pleases me very much that we beat the unquestionable best, starting with Borussia Dortmund, and in two instances, later in the tournament it can fairly be said that we thrashed the best. Without question, we were the best side in Europe, and therefore arguably in the world.
It miffed me very much — and still does, to some degree — that we never got the proper recognition for the domestic treble of 2019. What we did then was just about as incredible, in my book, perhaps as incredible, given that Arsenal finally folded, whereas Liverpool never did. We were the only team to beat them! Against any other opponents, they would have been champions, and comfortably at that. And we did all that while holding our nerve to win the League Cup, then the F.A. Cup. Jesus, no, it really was astonishing. The recognition we got in June goes a fair way to redressing that.
But it's not, and it never has been, purely about trophies. This is a great, proud club, with great, proud support. The buzzing atmosphere in the stadium at the end of the match on Saturday reminded me of that, if I needed reminding.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.