Does Pep need to be more pragmatic away from home in Europe?

Pep has just showed his one major flaw arrogance. Yesterday we looked just like a Pellegrini team play their system come what may with no consideration for the opposition. if he does it again on Saturday it will be a major concern imho.

I agree.

I think if I was Pep yesterday I would have shut up shop for the first 20 minutes and then come out and play.

I would have played counter attacking football yesterday.

Equally we could have allowed Liverpool to have all of the ball and got spanked as well. Our players aren't used to playing in the manner you have suggested.

Both times at Anfield this season we have given away sloppy goals and then lost all sense of composure. Just look at the three goals we conceded and then make a straight face and say that there were nothing to do with mentality.

Goal 1 - Sane plays a pass that is never available and leaves us short at the back, Walker then has an opportunity to clear it but tries to control it instead and loses the ball.
Goal 2 - Otamendi goes walkabouts with the ball instead of clearing it, Gundogan then bottles out of a 50/50 challenge.
Goal 3 - Laporte shows Salah onto his stronger foot.

None of those goals are outright tactical mistakes. It's just normally composed players making the wrong decisions at the wrong time.
Why do we keep giving away these sloppy goals, surely the players should have learned something about Liverpool by now?

Pep has just showed his one major flaw arrogance. Yesterday we looked just like a Pellegrini team play their system come what may with no consideration for the opposition. if he does it again on Saturday it will be a major concern imho.

It amazes me that anyone could write that after watching the game.

The man changed his system specifically for this game. He dropped a winger for an extra central midfielder to try and resist the press, he added another CB instead of using a LB, he had Walker play 20m higher up almost as a wing back.

These are clear and obvious changes he made for this game. To say he played his system with no consideration is factually wrong.

There's discussion to be had about tactics yesterday, but if you can't even recognise those really big and obvious changes that he made specifically for this game, then I have to ask what's the point in discussing it, as you obviously weren't watching.

It amazes me that anyone could write that after watching the game.

The man changed his system specifically for this game. He dropped a winger for an extra central midfielder to try and resist the press, he added another CB instead of using a LB, he had Walker play 20m higher up almost as a wing back.

There's discussion to be had about tactics yesterday, but if you can't even recognise those really big and obvious changes that he made specifically for this game, then I have to ask what's the point in discussing it, as you obviously weren't watching.

The biggest issue with this yesterday was it meant all of our attacks were directed down the left, it simply allowed Liverpool to overload that side as we weren't moving the ball quick enough, and we didn't have that duel threat on the right.

The biggest issue with this yesterday was it meant all of our attacks were directed down the left, it simply allowed Liverpool to overload that side as we weren't moving the ball quick enough, and we didn't have that duel threat on the right.

I agree there were big tactical issues, but to see people complain about Pep never changing or being stubborn when he clearly made big changes is hilarious.

You have wonder if these people even watched the game?! Arguably the problem is he changed too much.

Equally we could have allowed Liverpool to have all of the ball and got spanked as well. Our players aren't used to playing in the manner you have suggested.

Every Liverpool defeat this season across all competitions have come in games where they've dominated the ball (65%+ possession). If you haven't already figured out, Klopp isn't good in possession.

So yeah, letting them have the ball would certainly be MUCH more effective than what Pep's been trying to do I imagine. Whether he'll do that or not is a separate issue.

This team is drilled to play in one way.
Something we changed last night and looked clueless.
People talk about playing pragmatic approach or shutting shop,no not happening can't do it.Our players at the moment aren't cut out for that.
I am scared we are getting more and more one system based club and we look clueless if told to other things

No he needs to stick with what's worked all season. Mendy got injured and Delph,Zin,Danilo have all worked in that position. When Sterlings not been available Bernardo has done fantastic. So why did he try something different in a huge game like yesterday. Stick with what has worked so well!

Yesterday Pep got it wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.