Dominating games/wide open defence

ayrshire_blue

Bit strange posting this on the back of a 6-1 victory at the weekend but that's been a good few games now where teams have been given the opportunity to take goals off us (Spurs did). On Saturday we could very very easily have been down 3-0 before we scored.

In Monchengladbach we had Joe Hart to thank for keeping us in the game at times. Spurs thumped us and before that West ham went up 1-0 after Moses was allowed to run at our defence and shoot.

What I'm getting is that against better quality opposition we can't be so reliant on them missing chances or Joe Hart being outstanding each time.

Looking at our first few fixtures of the season; I can barely remember either WBA, Chelsea, Everton, Watford or Palace having a single chance against us. We dominated possession and looked a difficult side to break down.

So what's changed? We look sometimes as if we're diving in all over the place. It's schoolboy stuff. All composure in defending from the midfield and back has gone awol.

We've got the derby in a few weeks and while the rags are absolute turd, they will take advantage going forward. It's the only reason they're so high in the league table this far is that they've been pretty clinical in making the most of their chances.

We can't allow it to be an end to end sort of game. It's not what we do best. Of course, Hart will need to make some saves throughout the season and we can't limit every team to not having a single chance against us but we can't keep giving away so many or we'll get punished again.

How many times recently have the opposition been able to run through or midfield and attack us in numbers, at times outnumbering our defensive line? What's causing it? It's almost like the Keegan era at times.

Ayrshire Blue.....I understand what you are saying. Clearly we can be absolutely brilliant for periods of the game but it has been worrying over the last few games to see supposedly average teams creating so many chances against us. Newcastle in the first half, West Ham, Tottenham and Borussia M. have all made us look very open and it definitely needs addressing. It seems amazing to say this after the 6-1 defeat of Newcastle but I must confess that after 40 mins of that game I was very worried and concerned about our performance.

I agree. I'd say one contributing factor is missing the tactical discipline and work rate that Milner provided. In general, we don't protect our fullbacks enough either.

I agree with your point in general, perhaps it's a case of us not being cynical enough when we lose possession.

But, I have to take issue with you using the Spurs game as an example, they barely registered a shot against us until the lino forgot how to do his job. It wasn't until we went 3-1 down ( from two set pieces ) and threw caution to the wind that we started to look exposed at the back.

Bit strange posting this on the back of a 6-1 victory at the weekend but that's been a good few games now where teams have been given the opportunity to take goals off us (Spurs did). On Saturday we could very very easily have been down 3-0 before we scored.

In Monchengladbach we had Joe Hart to thank for keeping us in the game at times. Spurs thumped us and before that West ham went up 1-0 after Moses was allowed to run at our defence and shoot.

What I'm getting is that against better quality opposition we can't be so reliant on them missing chances or Joe Hart being outstanding each time.

Looking at our first few fixtures of the season; I can barely remember either WBA, Chelsea, Everton, Watford or Palace having a single chance against us. We dominated possession and looked a difficult side to break down.

So what's changed? We look sometimes as if we're diving in all over the place. It's schoolboy stuff. All composure in defending from the midfield and back has gone awol.

We've got the derby in a few weeks and while the rags are absolute turd, they will take advantage going forward. It's the only reason they're so high in the league table this far is that they've been pretty clinical in making the most of their chances.

We can't allow it to be an end to end sort of game. It's not what we do best. Of course, Hart will need to make some saves throughout the season and we can't limit every team to not having a single chance against us but we can't keep giving away so many or we'll get punished again.

How many times recently have the opposition been able to run through or midfield and attack us in numbers, at times outnumbering our defensive line? What's causing it? It's almost like the Keegan era at times.

Why do people insist on stating this we missed chances before Newcastle scored just because Shearer Nicholas and Warnock say so it doesn't make it right

In quite a few of the more recent games we've tinkered with the system or deployed new personnel, and it just takes time to adjust and adapt. Save for in the CL, in those games where we've looked wobbly, I'd argue that we could have been out of sight in those had we already taken our early chances.

It's been happening since Otamendi came into the team.

He's looked impressive 1 on 1, making some nice hollywood tackles, but is clearly not quite working so well as a unit with the rest of the back 4. We've seen time and again Pellegrini's defensive system takes some getting used to, injuries forced him into the team earlier than we would want and I'm sure given a few more weeks/months we will see a solid backline with him in it.

Also I think Kolarov loses focus when VK isn't there barking orders at him. Every game Vinny has missed, Kolarov has made some sort of big error, leading to a chance of conceding, or conceding.

Why do people insist on stating this we missed chances before Newcastle scored just because Shearer Nicholas and Warnock say so it doesn't make it right

The chances we made before Newcastle scored were nowhere near as clear cut as the opportunities they had to strengthen their lead.

Regardless, the post wasn't about chances which we create. It's about opponents creating chances against us with such ease. Something which didn't happen in the first few games of the season, something which didn't happen towards the end of last season. I'm wondering what's changed? Why did the bottom club who haven't yet won a great have opportunities to go 2 or 3 up against us? Regardless of anything we created, why do we seem - at times - easy to carve open? That's all, and I don't think it's an unfair question.

The chances we made before Newcastle scored were nowhere near as clear cut as the opportunities they had to strengthen their lead.

Regardless, the post wasn't about chances which we create. It's about opponents creating chances against us with such ease. Something which didn't happen in the first few games of the season, something which didn't happen towards the end of last season. I'm wondering what's changed? Why did the bottom club who haven't yet won a great have opportunities to go 2 or 3 up against us? Regardless of anything we created, why do we seem - at times - easy to carve open? That's all, and I don't think it's an unfair question.

Injuries to our first choice centre back pairing plus the integration of a new centre half might well answer all those questions and even some you haven't asked yet!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.