Don’t worry. All the signs are there...

I was right behind the shot, it was heading close to the post when struck, it may have gone in 4 yards from it but there was considerable bend on it, you call it "shite" if you want, but I'll say its a minor error of positioning, and some poor (actually none existant) defending leading up to it, he should expect to be afforded some protection from those in front of him.
it was a major error he will admit it ,theres no way that shot should of gone it ,its not even debatable imo, we will have to agree to disagree

More should of been done to stop the attack agreed but that goal changed the game for me ,I'm not bashing him he's fucking brilliant possibility up there as the best I've seen for city ,everyone makes mistakes

Fantastic performance on Saturday and if we had been more clinical we would have scored 4 or 5. Just need to sort out the marking at corners and we will be fine.
I think we’ll se a lot more goals scored from corners this season which unfortunately doesn’t help City. Usually only about 5% of corners are converted into goals but I wouldn’t be surprised if the figure tops 10% from now on. VAR will mean that defenders will not hold or mark as tightly as previously. I’m not saying that was the cause of the goal, but it does seem that the defenders are standing off a bit more than in the past.

EDERson has 10 players in front of him, someone should be stopping a shot from 25 yards after a free run through midfield, that's why we have defenders and a defensive midfield player (arguably 2 on Saturday), nobody tried to tackle, or prevent the shot, he might have been out of position, but the shot was well placed, and bent round him, certainly not all his fault.
watch it again on tv mate, hes not even in the middle of his goal when the shot happens and the ball doesn't go in the corner of his net, its an easy save for someone of his quality
the good news is he makes very few errors

EDERson has 10 players in front of him, someone should be stopping a shot from 25 yards after a free run through midfield, that's why we have defenders and a defensive midfield player (arguably 2 on Saturday), nobody tried to tackle, or prevent the shot, he might have been out of position, but the shot was well placed, and bent round him, certainly not all his fault.
Spot on.

I agree. IMHO the consistent defensive vulnerability we have had since Pep arrived appears to be stopping the opposition when they drive through from midfield. Happened against Liverpool in January ( although the Stones clearance let us off) Lyon and Spurs in the Champions League. I know Pep doesn’t believe in coaching tackling but standing up to a forward racing through the middle seems to be a consistent issue for us. That’s where we miss Kompany.

I find it hard to blame Ederson for one goal when his teammates at the other end score only 2 goals (arguably 3 !!) from 30 attempts , 10 on target with one hitting the woodwork. It was our inability to convert our chances that cost us the game and would have rendered VAR to an afterthought.

Some of our play was on a different planet and although I left the ground disappointed, I also felt in awe at how good we could be this season when we hit top gear.

CTID

watch it again on tv mate, hes not even in the middle of his goal
I watched it live, and was right behind it, so watching it again won't interfere with my opinion, and I already said he was out of position, but the shot did bend quite a bit, you can absolve the other 10 if you wish, but they just backed off and let him have a free shot, and that's poor defending, so you can't blame just 1 player.

I watched it live, and was right behind it, so watching it again won't interfere with my opinion, and I already said he was out of position, but the shot did bend quite a bit, you can absolve the other 10 if you wish, but they just backed off and let him have a free shot, and that's poor defending, so you can't blame just 1 player.

I tend to agree, a few are culpable, whether some have switched off after our goal, I don't know.

Not for the first time in that first 40 minutes, Sterling was rank lazy, refusing to get back in and exposing Zinchenko.

Sterling is the wrong side of the ball when it is played for their goal. Gundogan is nowhere to be found and Rodri is square on, being such a massive unit, Lamela uses that to his advantage by keeping Ederson unsighted and showing excellent technique..

Eddie doesn't know where the centre of his goal is. That's his error and on him.

I would be more worried if we allowed such a goal to ever happen again this season. It was the first time that I recall in a few years under Pep where we lacked both the intensity and positional awareness to allow such a soft goal.

I think we’ll se a lot more goals scored from corners this season which unfortunately doesn’t help City. Usually only about 5% of corners are converted into goals but I wouldn’t be surprised if the figure tops 10% from now on. VAR will mean that defenders will not hold or mark as tightly as previously. I’m not saying that was the cause of the goal, but it does seem that the defenders are standing off a bit more than in the past.
Remember last year when refs clamped down on shirt pulling at corners? Lasted about a fortnight

I would not be surprised if someone like Sky went back through the footage of the past 2 seasons and saw Ederson take up lopsided positions like that a lot because he's anticipating a through ball to Kane and we just never notice because the player in Lamela's position isnt given a wide open view and 5 yards of space to get his head up and measure up a shot.

It was a combination of giving the ball away cheaply, defenders not closing down, Ederson moving over too much and also being unsigned - I actually think if hed seen the shot leave Lamela's boot hed have saved it despite his positioning because he got very close.

The error was a result of Ederson anticipating Lamela playing a through ball, this is a vital part of the way he plays and is so quick off his line. If you look at his position he was to far off his line to create a difficult angle for Lamela to score.

Yes it looks like a big mistake but football is about taking risks sometimes, I don't see Ederson changing his method anytime soon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.