Don Everly R.I.P

My favourite music as a 15-19 year old was Ska and New Wave; Specials, The Jam, Blondie. Loved Kate Bush too.
My aunt (who is only 15 years older than me, and more like a big sister really) had Bridge Over Troubled Water LP. Even as a 10 year old when I first listened to it I thought I had died and gone to heaven ;-)
Thankfully she also has an older brother (my uncle Tony) who was born in 1941 and he left his Everly Brothers singles behind at my Grandparents when he got married. My Mum though loved Elvis.
I had a blessed childhood music wise ;-)
Great post, I'm on board with all that, despite really loving punk I enjoy all music, I defy anyone not to like at least one Elvis song, absolute genius, from that era and later I also adore Roy Orbison, voice of an Angel.

Saw them back in about 2004 when they were supporting Simon and Garfunkel at the MEN.
I'd grown up listening to their singles and loved them even as a kid. To then find out they were on the same bill was an added bonus to what was already a fantastic night.
Yes. I was there that night at the Arena. To see them performing with Simon and Garfunkel was a privilege. Total legends. RIP Don.

My favourite music as a 15-19 year old was Ska and New Wave; Specials, The Jam, Blondie. Loved Kate Bush too.
My aunt (who is only 15 years older than me, and more like a big sister really) had Bridge Over Troubled Water LP. Even as a 10 year old when I first listened to it I thought I had died and gone to heaven ;-)
Thankfully she also has an older brother (my uncle Tony) who was born in 1941 and he left his Everly Brothers singles behind at my Grandparents when he got married. My Mum though loved Elvis.
I had a blessed childhood music wise ;-)
Your favourites are my favourites too Sharon.
I loved all the Trojan music and was very into the Northern Soul scene from 1971- 1975. I went to The Golden Torch on Stoke, Blackpool Mecca and The Pendulum on Long Millgate in town.
You forgot to mention Squeeze amongst your favourite New Wave groups, I know that you have mentioned how much you like them in previous posts.

Yes. I was there that night at the Arena. To see them performing with Simon and Garfunkel was a privilege. Total legends. RIP Don.
I had to bid on ebay to get those tickets. Put my highest offer in and then went to work not really expecting to have got them by the time I got home. But I did ;-)
Never EVER thought I'd get to see them after loving Bridge for all those years, just glad they managed to get it together for one more time.
S&G and the Everly Brothers were a similar sound, and their relationships with each other were too.
Fantastic, both of them.

Your favourites are my favourites too Sharon.
I loved all the Trojan music and was very into the Northern Soul scene from 1971- 1975. I went to The Golden Torch on Stoke, Blackpool Mecca and The Pendulum on Long Millgate in town.
You forgot to mention Squeeze amongst your favourite New Wave groups, I know that you have mentioned how much you like them in previous posts.
Oh God yes!!! And Squeeze supported Blondie at MEN in about 1999 I think? That was another great surprise ;-)
Squeeze lyrics were brilliant

Oh God yes!!! And Squeeze supported Blondie at MEN in about 1999 I think? That was another great surprise ;-)
Squeeze lyrics were brilliant
Up the Junction and Cool for Cats are mini stories, brilliant music. I saw Glen Tilbrook at the Witchwood in Ashton doing an acoustic set in front of about 200 people, the highlight was him doing a kind of conga around the room with everyone dancing behind him, tremendous night.

I had to bid on ebay to get those tickets. Put my highest offer in and then went to work not really expecting to have got them by the time I got home. But I did ;-)
Never EVER thought I'd get to see them after loving Bridge for all those years, just glad they managed to get it together for one more time.
S&G and the Everly Brothers were a similar sound, and their relationships with each other were too.
Fantastic, both of them.
I am really a rock music/Indie/Country sort of person but that night was possible one of the greatest gigs I have ever seen and I have seen plenty. It was stunning to witness just how brilliant both duos were actually live. Musical perfection.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.