Double-barrelled names

MATCITY

why do people have them?

makes my job harder and I don't see the point in them

also I used to think these were things for posh people as in Lord and Lady Smyth-Wilderbeck of the Kensington Smyth-Wilderbeck's

But I find it increasingly more common for any Tina and Dave Jones-Taylor form Droylsden to have them

(these are fictional names as not to offend)

It's a long-standing tradition for really posh people who wanted to carry the names of both families for 'double the prestige'. So then ordinary posh but not super-posh people started copying it to give they impression they were from that bracket too.

Then a separate trend was from the 1970s onwards a handful of second-wave feminists started wanting to do it for reasons related to all of that. But those marriages probably didn't last long as the women decided munching rug was their calling.

And I suppose a few just do it simply because they like their maiden name.

End of a male line ?

If i was the last male "Smith" in our family and had only daughters, the the D-B is one way of carrying on the paternal name, load of bollocks but i think that is why its done.

personally i hate them, it s more common when unmarried parents separate.

i see them mostly with married rich girls as a sign of "i wear the trousers".

give it a few years and they ll be like chinese tattoo s!

There was a kid at our school called James Faringdon-Jones, sounds posh as fuck, but was a right scruffy ****.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.