Double standards in today's society

shaundickov

I was innocently browsing this forum yesterday and saw a few posts about women which would definitely be deemed insulting - about 'them' not being able to drive, that they 'should be in the kitchen', cleaning, sweeping the floors, and someone suggesting that we should never have given them the vote.

It got me thinking that as offensive as this stuff would definitely be to many women, you NEVER see ANY of the same kind of generalisations/insults/abuse when it comes to anything to do with RACE. I was warned the other day for a joke about Obama, which I apologise for and it won't happen again - I like this forum and I don't want a ban.

But it's not just this forum that seems to place more importance on not offending people for race reasons than for gender - it happens everywhere you look.

My question is WHY???

shaundickov said:
I was innocently browsing this forum yesterday and saw a few posts about women which would definitely be deemed insulting - about 'them' not being able to drive, that they 'should be in the kitchen', cleaning, sweeping the floors, and someone suggesting that we should never have given them the vote.

It got me thinking that as offensive as this stuff would definitely be to many women, you NEVER see ANY of the same kind of generalisations/insults/abuse when it comes to anything to do with RACE. I was warned the other day for a joke about Obama, which I apologise for and it won't happen again - I like this forum and I don't want a ban.

But it's not just this forum that seems to place more importance on not offending people for race reasons than for gender - it happens everywhere you look.

My question is WHY???

Unfortunately the pc brigade always get uptight on race issues and rightly so imo.
There is no room for racism in this country in this day and age but you can have a good pop at us women because we know its a laugh and we will give back as good as we get!!

clairepartyring said:
shaundickov said:

My question is WHY???

Unfortunately the pc brigade always get uptight on race issues and rightly so imo.
There is no room for racism in this country in this day and age but you can have a good pop at us women because we know its a laugh and we will give back as good as we get!!

^^^ This. As Claire says I think most women on here realise that you/we/us are having a laugh about women nothing malicious intended where as nobody considers racism a joke unless your a twat.
Don’t think I have read one thread actually intended to hurt a women’s feeling

PickfordG said:
clairepartyring said:
shaundickov said:

My question is WHY???

^^^ This. As Claire says I think most women on here realise that you/we/us are having a laugh about women nothing malicious intended where as nobody considers racism a joke unless your a twat.

I agree its all done in good humour,something which is slowly disappearing in this country. Too many people dont know how to have a good giggle!!!!

PickfordG said:

Don't get me wrong I'm not one for going round making racist comments about people, I'm talking about a light hearted joke.

Your opinion above is exactly what confuses me - it's blatant double standards. Who are you to assume that most women don't find a thread that states 'they should never have been given the vote' offensive?

There are jibes about the French etc doing the rounds that don't actually intend to hurt people's feelings but they are funny.

ktan118l.jpg

I realise you're trying to be funny dannyb but you're way off the mark. I'm just interested in a serious debate about this issue.

eg someone's just started a thread with the content:

-My gym is full of gay men, should I leave?

CAN YOU IMAGINE the response if someone started a thread:

- My gym is full of black people, should I leave?

It would be an instant ban. WHY? Why would the latter get a ban whilst the former probably won't?

PLEASE NOTE: I'm not having a dig at this forum in any way, it's just a reflection of our whole society at the moment.

It's hypocritical actually, and I don't know why we as a society allow it to happen.

If anyone wants to give an intelligent reply, please feel free. If you want to post a stupid image because you're short of a chromosome or two, please don't bother.

shaundickov said:
I realise you're trying to be funny dannyb but you're way off the mark. I'm just interested in a serious debate about this issue.

eg someone's just started a thread with the content:

-My gym is full of gay men, should I leave?

CAN YOU IMAGINE the response if someone started a thread:

- My gym is full of black people, should I leave?

It would be an instant ban. WHY? Why would the latter get a ban whilst the former probably won't?

PLEASE NOTE: I'm not having a dig at this forum in any way, it's just a reflection of our whole society at the moment.

It's hypocritical actually, and I don't know why we as a society allow it to happen.

If anyone wants to give an intelligent reply, please feel free. If you want to post a stupid image because you're short of a chromosome or two, please don't bother.

Welcome back brooklands blue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.