DPFs

remember arthur mann

My brother in law has recently taken ownership of a 2010 Renault Scenic 1.5 diesel. Unknown to him this model has a dpf, is the vehicle fitted with any warning light which indicates when car needs a blast up the motorway. I have a VW Touran which has such a system and works quite well.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter</a>

I drive me diesel like a sane and sensible person - never going over thirty, and every time I take it in the guy asks me how I drive it. Sane and sensible, I say. Oh, he says. Yer need to drive like a fucking maniac in second gear up Blackstone Edge and see if yer can touch seventy. Yer need to clear the shite . . . . . . . . . . ! Which little light comes on that tells me? I don't know why I don't stick to me bike!

Had a Vectra diesel and unknown to me, (as I used petrol card prior), you have to make them 'cough their shit up'. Get on the motorway and hammer the revs, then when at 70ish, drop the gear from 6th to 4th or 5th to 3rd, depending what you have and hammer the accelerator again. It worked wonders, but there was no warning light, I had to go on a fucking Vauxhall forum for that as the car was playing up.

Dont talk to me about dpf's. What a bastard.
Theyre the diesel equivalent of a catalytic convertor, and a good idea in principle only. Ive got a megane 1.9 which i drive steadily, the whole point of a diesel is economy if youre doing a bit of mileage. Turns out, this is exactly what fucks up dpf's. And nobody told me. I guess when you buy the car new the system is explained to you, but 2nd hand i just found out the hard way. Mine clogged up and eventually it blew a pipe out and the car went into limp mode. Cost loads for a new part, and they guy from renault managed to put it onto the computer and in effect trick the management system into thinking it was fixed and it blew all the shit out.
As above, what I do now is once a week when i finish an evening shift, i screw the bollocks of it on the motorway for 20 mins or drive in 2nd or 3rd up a monster hill. Doesnt feel like its doing the right thing but apparantly it is.
I bet it will go down a treat explaining to the Hitler Youth of a traffic cop that im not speeding sir, Im just regenerating my dpf system by driving like a ****.

Someone told me having a diesel and just using it for short runs will clog up the dpf quickly and to take it on the motorway for a blast as much as possible.

Short trips will plug the dpf up, there should be a light on the dash to let you know when it is getting plugged. When the light comes on, you need to take it for a good thrashing pretty soon. If it goes past that stage then it needs to go into the garage for them to hook the computer up to perform a manual regen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.