Drinking whiskey in the afternoon

This thread reminds me of my only ever contact with whisky. I was lucky enough to win a Cityzens competition and had a night with my lad in the Chairman's Club for the Leicester game, the year before they won the league. Anyway, free-bar and all, I'd decided to be sensible and not drink too much as I had work the next morning.

The food and free beer was great and we were really enjoying ourselves. Everything was going well until just before the game started I went and got two drinks while my lad went to the loo. It was a bit cold so I asked for a couple of whiskies to keep us warm. The bar man asked what type of whisky and I didn't have a clue. So he said you can have a run-of-the-mill stuff or something a bit more interesting. I said we'd have the good one. He brought over a bottle and I have no idea what it was but he explained it was a cracker, 30 year old, single malt, whatever that meant! It was also very expensive so it's a good job I wasn't paying!

Anyway, got two doubles, for me and the lad. He was confused when I gave him his drink as he knew that I didn't drink spirits. Had the same at half time and then more after the game. The guy from City who was looking after us must have thought I'd had enough as he offered to give us a lift home. I told him we were fine and would get another drink before heading off to the tram.

Really regretted it the next morning when I couldn't get out of bed and had the first hangover for about 20 years. Had to ring in sick at work. All I could taste was a 'peaty' flavour and I will never have whisky as long as I live.
Scotch!

I’ve never been a fan of whiskey since I drunk half a bottle of Bells aged 13 (33 years ago) and spent the rest of the evening cuddling the toilet! Anyhow, Inspired by this thread I went out and bought a Spey whiskey from Aldi. It had great reviews and had won some awards. Just took my first slip expecting something wonderful to happen......fucking horrible! You bunch of liars .

At least city are winning!

So I decided to power through on the bottle I bought. Didn’t really want to waste it, had to mix water with it, but by the end of the week I thought it was starting to taste ok. Hmm, I thought, after finishing the bottle, should I try another one? Decided, if i was going to take up Whisky drinking that I should try one of the really nice ones so I could see if there was a difference. Upon reading through the thread I went for and Irish Whiskey and picked a Teelings small batch for £37. I’m now converted! This Whiskey is really nice, smooth with really interesting aromas. Still having to mix with water but really enjoying it.

This is going to turnout to be an expense habit though!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.