Drug Prohibition - Yay or Nay

bugsyblue

I've been having this debate with friend and family for many years and thought I'd canvass the opinion of Bluemooners...

My feeling is that drug prohibition really doesn't work - It's failed for decades! On a national and international level drug consumption has largely increased periodically whilst BILLIONS have been spent globally to try and combat it. Equally criminals have become mega rich off the back of selling an unlicensed, untaxed product where demand simply hasn't faltered.

My solution, is to legalise all drugs. Taxi it. Educate. Provide public services for addiction and treatment. Take money out of the hands of criminals and put it into the hand of business, government and public services. You'd of course need to license the product but you'd create a huge new legal industry (as opposed to a multi-billion illegal one at present) and this would create a massive new revenue stream and new job opportunities. Equally you'd go a long way to eradicate gangs and murder both nationally and internationally.

Thinking on the "negatives", the arguments of increased consumption are silly (IMO) and you just have to look at the states in the US that have legalised cannabis and seen consumption drop. The morality argument is naive. Kids will always try shit and actually I'd argue that drugs being illegal is what makes most rebellious teenagers want to try it.

Legalisation will obviously never happen because it's so political and people are too stupid (sorry to offend but it's true) but seriously, if you look at it practically and from an economical and social perspective why hasn't it happened?!

The Pros far way outweigh the Cons, no?

When they get caught selling drugs jail them for a proper amount of time, of course stopping it getting into the country in the first place would be better.

Making it legal will just mean more people will have a go at it imo, you only have to look at how many kids wander the street sucking on a vape and most of these wouldn't be smoking, I know it is a bad example as it is not legal for kids to vape, I'd love to know how they are affording some of these machines though.

A better example would be a guy at work who now vapes at every break time but didn't even fucking smoke.

When they get caught selling drugs jail them for a proper amount of time, of course stopping it getting into the country in the first place would be better.

Making it legal will just mean more people will have a go at it imo, you only have to look at how many kids wander the street sucking on a vape and most of these wouldn't be smoking, I know it is a bad example as it is not legal for kids to vape, I'd love to know how they are affording some of these machines though.

A better example would be a guy at work who now vapes at every break time but didn't even fucking smoke.

we spend millions trying to stop drugs getting into the country. And we’ve been doing it for decades.

I think in every state in the US where they have legalised cannabis usage has actually dropped!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.