Dryathlon

RP2

Has anyone else signed up for this?

Basically being sponsored to quit booze for January to raise money for Cancer Research UK..... Or is anyone just staying off the booze for a detox?

I've probably not gone a full month without alcohol since I was 16. I'm 34 now.

If anyone else is doing this, tell me how you're getting on (especially after this, the first, weekend!) We can help each other through.

Oh, and can I shamefully plug my justgiving page for donations??

http://www.justgiving.com/owner-email/pleasesponsor/Rik-Peters

Or Text RIKP79 and the amount you wish to sponsor (e.g. RIKP79 £5) to 70070.

My company are matching all donations too!

Thanks!

I've not done more than a month since I was in my teens but now trying to stay off it until my London Marathon attempt in April, a total of 101 days to try and stay dry :-/

citymacc said:
I've not done more than a month since I was in my teens but now trying to stay off it until my London Marathon attempt in April, a total of 101 days to try and stay dry :-/

Good luck! I assume you're doing it for charity - have you thought of being the "designated driver" for nights out - to make some more money for the cause? And it also means you HAVE to stay off the booze!

I happily give to charity but have never been clever enough to think of anything to do. I am not fit enough to do worthwhile things like cycle up K2 in just my wells or paddle up the Amazon in a bath full of custard.

As my username suggests, I have a mutual, loving and ongoing relationship with alcohol so this seemed like a challenge I ought to have a crack at and I have signed up to do it.

Anyone who knows me will know that right now I am seeing pink elephants and am suffering the heebee-geebees after not having had a drink since NYE.

Without wishing to steal the OP's thunder (and at the risk of being a cheeky get), if any kind soul wishes to donate to my page as well, I would be both delighted and extremely grateful.

My "justgiving" page is: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.justgiving.com/mikebow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.justgiving.com/mikebow</a>

I've not really got going on the tin rattling front yet so there are no donations on it at the moment but hoping to try and get £150 if poss!

Big test comes on Tuesday next week with the resumption of our darts season following the Christmas Break :S

RP2 said:
citymacc said:

Good luck! I assume you're doing it for charity - have you thought of being the "designated driver" for nights out - to make some more money for the cause? And it also means you HAVE to stay off the booze!

I am involved in this and can assure you I'm certainly not ferrying my mates who haven't, back and forth to the fucking boozer, whilst I chew beermats and drink lime and soda.
I shall merely grit my teeth and pray for February 1st, when the landlord will develop segs on his hands pulling my beer at the mother of all sessions.

Ancient Citizen said:
RP2 said:
citymacc said:

I am involved in this and can assure you I'm certainly not ferrying my mates who haven't, back and forth to the fucking boozer, whilst I chew beermats and drink lime and soda.
I shall merely grit my teeth and pray for February 1st, when the landlord will develop segs on his hands pulling my beer at the mother of all sessions.
Will be doing exactly the same. Got a tester earlier than I thought - mate's birthday this weekend. Not good.

I'm limiting myself to the odd glass of red wine, rather than smashing the beers as I have been.

strongbowholic said:
Ancient Citizen said:
RP2 said:

Will be doing exactly the same. Got a tester earlier than I thought - mate's birthday this weekend. Not good.
I know the feeling. I've told everyone that I don't give a toss who's getting married/Dead/Has a birthday/wins the lottery, or is emigrating.
They're not fucking getting me there and torturing me watching them guzzle pints of foaming ale in celebration.

As a landlord of a pub, I am not happy with this. Pub's are major donators to charities and to have a charity encourage a boycott of one of this country's great institutions is scandalous. Individuals can choose of their own accord to alter their habits for health reasons - may I suggest eating healthier and exercising more - maybe with a treat of a couple of pints of ale twice a week!
From now on I will boycott Cancer charities. Help for Heroes should benefit. I might start donating to homeless kids charities, as that's where mine will be if everyone takes this up!
Rant over - I'm off for a pint ;-)

I know it's only 3 days in but how you both getting on (RP2 & Ancient Citizen)?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.