Earliest City match attended by a forum member

1978 v Standard Liege i was 9.. night game never forget it floodlights kippax ect....I was hooked.

1967 City 5 Sheff United 2 think it was October time
As ‘Big Swifty’ says, that was a cracking game.. We were on a bit of a roll then, having survived the first season back after promotion in 1966, with a run of consecutive wins that took us near the top (of course, we went and lost the next three to Arsenal, the Red Filth and Sunderland!.. but we did recover to put a great run in to win the title that season!)

Stands out in my memory not only for the Stan Bowles debut, as ‘Big Swifty’ says but also for the crowd. With my team mates from youth club, we were at the ground collecting for the Manchester Lads’ Clubs Federation that day, and so got free entrance to the Platt Lane stand for the game. I’d been going to Maine Road since 1959 and had seen some big crowds and that day was a big one, with loads of Blades fans crossing the Pennines. I’ve always thought there must’ve been around 45000 there that day and Platt Lane was crammed, as was the Scoreboard End where The Old Man was that day. On the way back to Hulme he also said the crowd size must’ve been around 45000 plus.

Next day in the papers, the crowd was reported as just under 32000. Never in a million years! The Old Man looked up from reading it in the Sunday Express and said something about how Albert Alexander, our chairman, was ‘up to his tricks’ as usual to avoid paying tax! Eee, ‘appy days!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.