Edinburgh at New Year

Edinburgh is shite, a load of pretentious english and yanks running around in kilts! I went once years ago, i was embarrassed for the majority of people i saw. I have to agree with citybhoy, glasgow was much better, none of your shortbread tin shite, just a great party!

simonr555 said:
Has anybody been there for the New Year celebrations? There's about 6-10 of us currently talking about going and we're all pretty keen. Just thought I'd see what the best thing to do is with regards to places to go as well as prices.

Utter gash pal. I'd save your money. Total hype is Edinburgh

Ricster said:
simonr555 said:
Has anybody been there for the New Year celebrations? There's about 6-10 of us currently talking about going and we're all pretty keen. Just thought I'd see what the best thing to do is with regards to places to go as well as prices.

Utter gash pal. I'd save your money. Total hype is Edinburgh

Cheers mate. I'll mention Glasgow to the lads tonight and see what reception that gets. To be honest, I'm easy when it comes to where we end up cause it's a get together with my mates from Uni so we'll have a laugh no matter where we are.

glen quagmire said:
Edinburgh is shite, a load of pretentious english and yanks running around in kilts! I went once years ago, i was embarrassed for the majority of people i saw. I have to agree with citybhoy, glasgow was much better, none of your shortbread tin shite, just a great party!

There is already a Glasgow/Edinburgh devide & I dont think this thread was started out this way.

Simon is already thinking about Edinburgh, obviously, for New Year. I would argue the people of Edinburgh are hospitable and there is definatley less of a Ned culture than in Glasgow, although it is everywhere. Also Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland & the financial centre hense there is more money.

New Year in Edinburgh is classed as one of the top 5 street parties in the world. The pubs are ace & it's easy to get around. We have parlament, the Royal palace & Edinburgh castle. Honestly To see the castle lit up and with fireworks coming off it whilst being pissed with yer mates singing Auld Lang Syne is quite something.

The "pretentious english and yanks running around in kilts" You speak of does happen during the festival time, I will admit that but not at New Year.

RPDB said:
glen quagmire said:

There is already a Glasgow/Edinburgh devide & I dont think this thread was started out this way.

Simon is already thinking about Edinburgh, obviously, for New Year. I would argue the people of Edinburgh are hospitable and there is definatley less of a Ned culture than in Glasgow, although it is everywhere. Also Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland & the financial centre hense there is more money.

New Year in Edinburgh is classed as one of the top 5 street parties in the world. The pubs are ace & it's easy to get around. We have parlament, the Royal palace & Edinburgh castle. Honestly To see the castle lit up and with fireworks coming off it whilst being pissed with yer mates singing Auld Lang Syne is quite something.

The "pretentious english and yanks running around in kilts" You speak of does happen during the festival time, I will admit that but not at New Year.

I am only going off my own experience. The whole thing feels 'fake' to me. I also have been to the stonehaven hogmany fireball party. That was fucking brilliant.

I must say my most memorable new year's eve's have been right here in sunny manchester!

I have been to both Edinburgh and Glasgow at Hogmany,both are shite.Both were good years ago but sadly they have got worse as the years go on.In fact New Year is dying on its arse up here.Stay away from both.

We try to escape town at New Year in Edinburgh, done it a few times, overpriced and packed full of backpackers, tour groups of chubby tourists, and South African students fighting amongst themselves, immensely overhyped to be honest

At least in Glasgow you won't need a second mortgage for the night out.

But having lived here 15 years I would definately say visit as its a fantastic place for a few days away - just not at new year

Me and the missus went to Edinburgh new year '99, got tickets for the open air music show cos Mansun were playing. Mansun were great and then we wandered around getting slowly drunk on whiskey.

We went round the castle in the fog, and found a nice bench to snuggle up on in a car park where there was parked a solitary car. We noticed the windows were steamed up and we got interested in what was going on inside. All of a sudden, and quite without warning, a bare arse appeared against the glass, and disappeared no sooner than we had seen it.

We ended up drinking strong coffee in a cafe near the bus station until dawn as we had overlooked the need for appropriate accomodation.

Took us about four days to thaw out when we got home.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.