Eid Mubarak

This was posted by London Blue in the match day forum but he's only got one post (rag? I doubt it given the content), so I thought I'd post it on his behalf...

Just a suggestion for anyone going to the game tomorrow.

Sunday is the holiest day in the Muslim calendar - Eid-ul-Fitr (Muslim equivalent of Xmas). Its the day that marks the end of Ramadan is celebrated massively in the Muslim world. As our benefactor - Sheikh Mansour - will no doubt be celebrating the day - hopefully by celebrating a win over the Stretford mob - it would be a fantastic gesture for anyone going to the game who wants to express any kind of thanks/congratulations to express it by a banner/poster/whatever stating "Eid Mubarak" which translates as "Eid Congratulations".

Given how much we've benefited from his takeover this would be a small token of appreciation which would go down extremely well with him, his family and the people of Abu Dhabi. Unfortunately I'm not at the game so hopefully someone who is might consider doing this.

Apologies that this is posted so late but the precise date for Eid is set by the sighting of the moon and it was confirmed late today....here's the article from The National paper in Abu Dhabi confirming.....

Ramadan ends with moon sighting
Charlie Hamilton

Last Updated: September 19. 2009 11:29PM UAE / September 19. 2009 7:29PM GMT
ABU DHABI // The holy month of Ramadan ended last night, with Eid al Fitr celebrations beginning today, UAE authorities announced.

In line with Islamic tradition, officials from the Shawwal Crescent Committee met last night to look skyward for first sight of the new moon, which marks the end of the fasting month.

The committee’s findings were announced at a press conference at the Abu Dhabi Judiciary Department headquarters.

“It has been determined that Eid begins on Sunday,” said Dr Hadef al Dhaheri, the Minister of Justice, at the live-televised announcement.

“After communicating with neighbouring countries, the committee has made certain that this year’s Shawwal moon has been sighted. Accordingly Sunday, September 20, 2009, is the first day of Eid al Fitr.”

During the address, Dr al Dhaheri extended Eid greetings to the President of the UAE, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed, to Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, and to the members of the Supreme Council and Rulers of the Emirates, Crown Princes of the Emirates, people of the UAE and Islamic nations.

Should officials have failed to catch sight of the new moon, Ramadan would have continued for a further 24 hours and Eid al Fitr would have began on Monday.

Astronomical calculations dating to early Islamic times estimate with some accuracy when the new moon will be visible to the naked eye, but predictions as to the precise day are always difficult.

The announcement last night means that there will be three days of national holiday beginning tomorrow.

Sheikh Khalifa on Friday exchanged good wishes with heads of state including those in the Gulf, and was today due to offer the traditional Eid al Fitr prayer.

He spoke to the leaders of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman and Egypt in a round of telephone calls offering them Eid greetings, according to the UAE’s official news agency, WAM. The President is today expected to offer the Eid al Fitr prayer at the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in the capital before meeting the Supreme Council members and Rulers of the Emirates at a special reception at Al Mushrif Palace. He is also due to exchange Eid greetings with the emirates’ deputy rulers and crown princes.

Many of those celebrating Eid across the UAE are expected to mark the occasion by visiting friends and family. Others will gather at parks, as well as at special events such as that organised by the Emirates Heritage Club, which is launching a three-day Eid al Fitr Festival at the Abu Dhabi Theatre. The festival will start at 7.30pm with a comedy show performed by the Dubai Al Ahli Theatre Group. “Eid in Dubai” is an event being organised by the office of the Dubai Shopping Festival.

chamilton@thenational.ae

Sounds a good idea if someone could do it somehow...?

Seen that too 1.618034 and sounds like a really good idea to me, not getting to the game myself but if any ticket-holders are reading then definately give it some consideration.. Just feel incredibly priviledged that this kind of good fortune has landed in our lap. Would love a second opinion on the translation though, you know, just in case...

It's legit'... And there might be time. If I was going I'd have a go or buy some markers and a flag on the way. It doesn't have to be big to get on TV. The coverage this game will be getting is phenomenal!

You get nothing if you don't try...

WoW
i'll be Surprised if i see some of our fans doing it
i'll say tell my friends here in U.A.E about your concern about thank Skiekh mansoor in this holy day
if i see any fans with flag written Eid mubarak i'll tell them thats my mates in Blue moon forum :D
anybody can do that??

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.