Electrician advice?

Hi,
I've just purchased a lazy spa for my daughter. I thought it was a case of 'plug & go' but on reading the instructions, it says
'It is recommended to arrange for a qualified electrician to connect the spa pump to an equipotential (WTF?) bonding terminal using a minimum 2.5mm2 solid copper conductor ??
Does anybody know if this is necessary and what the likely cost will be? Thanks in advance .
That's probably a bit of generic advice to cover themselves. However you really should get a sparks round to look at it. It will definitely require Rcd protection in line somewhere, a qualified expert will tell you what you require

That's probably a bit of generic advice to cover themselves. However you really should get a sparks round to look at it. It will definitely require Rcd protection in line somewhere, a qualified expert will tell you what you require
Cheers, i have a electrician calling on Monday. There is a PRCD plug with it with 2 buttons on 'RESET & TEST which i must check before every use apparently.

Cheers, i have a electrician calling on Monday. There is a PRCD plug with it with 2 buttons on 'RESET & TEST which i must check before every use apparently.
No probs. Your external supply to the jacuzzi must be protected at source in accordance with current regs. Sure the sparks will let you know what you require.

Water, electric and naked people, lovely.

Assuming this is an outdoor hot tub, so whats the earthing arrangment of the house - TNS or PME? Chances are that separating the hot tub from the house earthing is perhaps recommended, so a TT system would be advisable. Obviously a device for protection against residual current goes without saying.

Does this make sense?

Speak to your spark. ;)

Last edited:
No probs. Your external supply to the jacuzzi must be protected at source in accordance with current regs. Sure the sparks will let you know what you require.
Really? Current regs say exporting a PME system to the jacuzzi is a must?

/edit sorry, maybe misread. I assume youre advising on his rcd plug and not the "'bonding'" then? Though i don't know why ' at source'.?

Really? Current regs say exporting a PME system to the jacuzzi is a must?

/edit sorry, maybe misread. I assume youre advising on his rcd plug and not the "'bonding'" then? Though i don't know why ' at source'.?
Depends on how it's wired & in what type of cable. Rcd protection is a must for all sockets in a dwelling & has been for a number of years. It's advisable to ensure ALL circuits are rcd protected in a dwelling, but that is subject to certain parameters, i.e. When the house was wired, when was the consumer unit fitted etc. Suffice to say, Rcd protection is a must.

Depends on how it's wired & in what type of cable. Rcd protection is a must for all sockets in a dwelling & has been for a number of years. It's advisable to ensure ALL circuits are rcd protected in a dwelling, but that is subject to certain parameters, i.e. When the house was wired, when was the consumer unit fitted etc. Suffice to say, Rcd protection is a must.
Yes, i know ;)

It was the 'at source' that confuses.

I was more concerned with the comment suggesting the protection should come from source. As the OP was highlighting the bonding i thought you were suggesting bringing the 'source' earthing arrangment to the hottub. Without seeing its difficult to make call on that.

But reading back you may be talking about the rcd hence the edit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.