Electrician

Any sparks on here ?

Question. ..our sockets fuse keeps tripping. Sometimes it will go weeks without a problem. Yesterday every time we plugged in the Hoover it tripped. This morning hoover works fine.
It's not the hoover as such as I have tried different hoovers.

Do power suppliers reduce power sometimes or is it a problem within the house. I had a new fuse box fitted about 6 months ago with an anti surge thingy.
It's a problem within the house. Turn the circuit off and loosen the offending socket to check if it looks ok - tight connections/no moisture. Failing that it's a job for a sparkeh.

Any sparks on here ?

Question. ..our sockets fuse keeps tripping. Sometimes it will go weeks without a problem. Yesterday every time we plugged in the Hoover it tripped. This morning hoover works fine.

Do power suppliers reduce power sometimes or is it a problem within the house. I had a new fuse box fitted about 6 months ago with an anti surge thingy.
You’re house is haunted, burn it down and claim on the insurance.

Is it the same appliance that you plug into the socket that keeps tripping out the breaker,

Any sparks on here ?

If the CB trips then it's likely the 13A ring is overloaded. A hoover is essentially a big motor which will draw high current on start up. Normally a start up current won't be enough to overload the circuit, but if you have loads of other stuff plugged in at the same time (hifi/TV/PC/games console/washing machine/dishwasher/tumble drier) then it might just be enough to tip the circuit into overload. If this has been a fairly regular occurrence then it's possible your surge protection device might also be shot. You'll need to get a spark to check it out for you.

Do you just have a single breaker marked 'downstairs sockets'? If so then it might be worth splitting the ring in half and having separate breakers for the kitchen and living room.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.