Eliaquim Mangala - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
What explanation is needed ?
Do you really believe that if Pep shared your opinion that Mangala was "Absolutely diabolical footballer. An embarrassment" he would put him on the pitch ?
Mangala is there because whatever his limitations, Pep's opinion is that he can do a better job than anyone else he could pick. If he thought Tosin could do a better job than Mangala he would play him or indeed any other member of the squad.
He isn't our first choice CH, nor our second choice nor our third so maybe as fans we need to lower our unrealistic expectations for a fourth choice CH and trust that Pep knows what he is doing in deciding to play him.
It's a team game and each player is there to fulfil a particular role. If they do what Pep asks them to do they get picked again, if they decide to do their own thing (think Hart or Nasri) they are gone.
CTID

Pep tried to sell him as soon as he saw him then loaned him out because he was too shit to be sold. Tried to sell him again this summer but couldn't again so now he plays cup games when we want to rest the players who can actually play football. I think Pep's actions tell you a lot about what he thinks of Mangala

And yes I do think we can do better for a 4th choice centre half than Mangala, because he's fucking awful. Simply not fit for purpose. Hope I never see him try to play football again, nevermind in a City shirt. It's fuckin painful, the useless dope.

For me he's picked because if he's needed he the obvious answer. He's obviously very popular in the squad and an experienced senior pro. We would all like to see Tosin play over Mangala, or Angelino over Clichy or Maffeo over Zaba/Sagna. However I don't think it's as easy as a manager. Mangala like Toure are in the first team squad, senior pros and likely popular squad members. They can't just be ignored in favour of youth or players out of position.
The harmony in the squad is clear and like we've seen with Bravo, I think the squad would love a late winner from Mangala or a dominating MOM from him.

With regards the lad himself, time & space is his enemy on the field. Against the shit teams he has far too much, he's required to be a footballer, most of mistakes and lackadaisical performances have come against the lesser teams.
Give him a big game, where he's mentally involved all game and he's actually decent. He's been pretty good against the stronger opposition, yet poor in the lesser games. As an underdog so to speak he's been decent, give him games like Bristol or Wolves where he's the far superior player to his counterpart he for some reason struggles.
I actually think he is getting better. Sadly, in other to get better he has to make these mistakes. Playing out of the back was never a part of his remit until Pep showed up last year. That's 15 years into his playing career.

But he is a worker. His positioning in possession has improved. So has his passing ( and not the negative kind), so has his risk taking and his vision.

It just so happens that because of his history as a non-footballing defender, everyone gives him.the shortest leash. Had he been the one who sliced a overhead ball and gave away a dumb penalty, folks would be hoping to God he was sold the next day.

He is never going to win with our fans it seems. And that's so unfortunate. :(

Yeah maybe but that's my opinion. He is too fucking lanky for a defender and gets bullied far too easily. Today's performance brought back Memories of how Falcao owned him when we played the home game against Monaco.

So he has not come back from his injury in top form, up until the injury he was imperious at the back, give the fucking lad a break and stop being so reactionary, tbh I don't think he is fully fit but we needed him back and that plan hasn't worked, of course that may well be shit but it isn't as shit as you calling Stones out for Mangala lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.