Emile Mpenza

His cult status in my eyes is heavily influenced by his Championship Manager performances for me, long before he came to the club.

I was absolutely buzzing when he signed, and he kept us up. Didn't quite work out for him when Sven came in though.

Didn't work out for any strikers when sven was brought in, which was weird. Bojinov couldn't get fit and Bianchi couldn't settle. Some decent midfield performers though.

Can't really recall what happened with mpenza.

"Brian" as he was known on here at the time.

Quite a few moments over the years where you could point to a certain time/game/moment and think "if that hadn't happened we wouldn't be where we are now", and for me the three away games we won on the spin to Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Fulham in March/April were the difference between staying up and going down in that awful final Pearce season.

Mpenza scored in two out of the three mentioned games and led the line well in all of them, so cannot understate his importance. Similarly, Michael Ball came in round the same time and was a huge improvement on what had previously been there (can still see Matt Derbyshire running past Stephen Jordan like he wasn't there when we lost 3-0 at home to Blackburn not too much before this) and Michael Johnson getting in the first team was hugely important because Barton aside the rest of the senior midfielders that year were an absolute fucking disaster.

I’ve barely ever seen an away end go as mental as we did at St James’ when Mpenza scores that winner

I’ve barely ever seen an away end go as mental as we did at St James’ when Mpenza scores that winner
I ended up in the home end and remember telling my son who was 8 at the time not to jump up if we scored. What a picture his face was when I couldn't hold myself back !!!!! Credit to the geordies round us who never said a word.

I loved him since the early Champ Manager games and was utterly baffled when we signed him, as in my head he was almost some mythical creature not a real person (like To Madeira). He was clearly past his best when he arrived here but scored some crucial goals. I still have a shirt with his name on it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.