Emmigrating to the US...

GStar

\o/ EASY /o\ EASY \o/ EASY /o\ '09 Ashes Champion
I think i'm right in saying theres a few here who've done it.

Been looking into it myself, and it seems as though, at 22, without an offer of employment where the company in question will apply for your visa... its not too easy to set up in "the land of the free".

Just wondering if anyone has any advice/stories/information about moving from the UK to the US? I realsie this isn't exactly the most relevant place for this kind of question but if anyone has any relevent contributions it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers

GStar said:
I think i'm right in saying theres a few here who've done it.

Been looking into it myself, and it seems as though, at 22, without an offer of employment where the company in question will apply for your visa... its not too easy to set up in "the land of the free".

Just wondering if anyone has any advice/stories/information about moving from the UK to the US? I realsie this isn't exactly the most relevant place for this kind of question but if anyone has any relevent contributions it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers

go for it fella, broaden your horizons, dont know how easy it is tho, seemsthat over the last decade its got harder tho.

Thats the main thing keeping me here now, in all honesty, i just want to see us win something, be there for the begining of it all.

Still, i'd keep the season ticket (give it tom mates when im not around)

But, since graduating i'd been offered grad scheme places (had to turn them down through illness) and having been on JSA for a few weeks after a couple months of job hunting i'm now temping til Xmas with less disposable income than if i stayed in bed sponging off the Government.

So, i've been eyeing up California, Los Angeles to be more precise. It might sound like a cliche but the culture; music fashion etc speaks to me; the values Manchester has.

So, how do i do it? Do i need to find a job first and get them to apply for my visa? Can i go over there and apply because i've got a degree (E3 visa or something?) just a bit of advice of how to go about it, opinions etc would be great.

Pretty tough to get into, why not try Canada?

With the US the best hand you've got to play is probably to find and marry an American lass. Whether a sham marriage or the real deal.

sam221985 said:
Pretty tough to get into, why not try Canada?

With the US the best hand you've got to play is probably to find and marry an American lass. Whether a sham marriage or the real deal.

The weather and the lifestyle are two big reasons. Canada seems lke a cool country once everyone has stopped taking the piss, but it's not the greatest of climates is it?

The hard way: look for a job that is desperately needed in the US., ie software engineer. Then the company applies for a visa for you and it lasts a year or 2..which they might renew....after a fw years there, you apply to live as a resident alien.

The alternative: Go over for a holiday, begin working illegally....stay around long enough for some type of amnesty or lottery.

Expect a bit of heartbreak either way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.