Employment Agency rant

LittleStan

I know we have discussed employment agencies and finding work in other threads but I just got off the phone with a recruitment agency and feel the need to rant.

OK, I have been out of work for two years. After being made redundant I took on the stay at home dad duties and some voluntary roles to keep my hand in while I looked for full time work. I did not anticipate two years.

The agent just told me that he could not put me forward to a client because.

A) I was not in full time work.
B) I have too many short term roles on my CV and his client wants somebody who will stay in one company for a while. (my last paid job I was in for 15 years but have some interim voluntary roles included)

I explain my break as taking time to look after my two pre-school age kids.

Apparently is a problem. I then pointed out that if I was a mum returning to work we would not be having the conversation.

I found it frustrating that companies are only looking to employ people who are currently in employment but have suspected this for a while.

At least he called me back and was honest, so as a recruiter I suppose he was not too bad.

I know the feelin' Stan ...

i've been out of work even longer than you , and age is against me too .... the only job i can get now is Father Christmas at my local supermarket ever December !

It's hopeless , isn't it mate ....

where's all this CV bollocks come from anyway ?

I can't remember ever hearing about them back in seventies when i started work , and when i finally did hear of it i thought it was one of those sexual diseases !

LittleStan said:
I know we have discussed employment agencies and finding work in other threads but I just got off the phone with a recruitment agency and feel the need to rant.

OK, I have been out of work for two years. After being made redundant I took on the stay at home dad duties and some voluntary roles to keep my hand in while I looked for full time work. I did not anticipate two years.

The agent just told me that he could not put me forward to a client because.

A) I was not in full time work.
B) I have too many short term roles on my CV and his client wants somebody who will stay in one company for a while. (my last paid job I was in for 15 years but have some interim voluntary roles included)

I explain my break as taking time to look after my two pre-school age kids.

Apparently is a problem. I then pointed out that if I was a mum returning to work we would not be having the conversation.

I found it frustrating that companies are only looking to employ people who are currently in employment but have suspected this for a while.

At least he called me back and was honest, so as a recruiter I suppose he was not too bad.

Unfortunately, if his client states that they would like someone who is in full time work, he would be wasting their time if he forwarded your CV. If he is seen to be wasting the client's time, the client may go elsewhere.

It's shit but you don't need me to tell you it's an employers market at the moment and they can afford to be picky.

Good luck mate I really hope something comes up.

gaudinho's stolen car said:
Unfortunately, if his client states that they would like someone who is in full time work, he would be wasting their time if he forwarded your CV. If he is seen to be wasting the client's time, the client may go elsewhere.

It's shit but you don't need me to tell you it's an employers market at the moment and they can afford to be picky.

Good luck mate I really hope something comes up.

You are dead right it was not the lads fault, he seemed very nice and I don't imagine him staying in the job very long.

He fell short of telling me his clients name because I would have reported them for discrimination.

tueartsboots said:
The irony being that to run a household, look after kids, budget, shop, be committed, clean. cook etc etc are highly transferable skills

yep, must admit I am not very good at the cleaning bit.

Industry learnt a long time ago that not employing mums returning to work is a waste of resource. However, as has been mentioned, it is an employers market and they can do what they want.<br /><br />-- Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:06 pm --<br /><br />
dazdon said:
Maybe the employment agency are being sexist?

Looking after children in their early years is very demanding.

I hope you gain employment m8 good luck with your search.

Possibly but I will never be able to prove it.

I have been working with a start up with the possibility of a job if funding comes through. But I am still looking in case that does not come off. I think I might just concentrate on that for a while and not apply for anything else.

It is difficult to actively not look for work for a few weeks even when you know that the jobs being applied for are no hoper's.

Being a little naive here Stan. It's your age.

Tailor the CV mate. If those are his reasons then take out the voluntary stuff in future. Total honesty will never work, you do have to bend the rules a wee bit now and then. If you get a sniff then you can say about the voluntary stuff at the interview.

dazdon said:
Maybe the employment agency are being sexist?.

This is a common, and frustrating misunderstanding

ITS NOT THE AGENCY that the issue is with...as Gaudino states..it will be what the Client/Employer is asking for. The Agency is working under the instruction of the Client.

I know thats of know help in your current plight...hope you get something soon mate

Definitely tweak the short term roles.Take out the shortest,extend the others(obviously without taking the piss).Hopefully,if an employer goes into it in that much depth then they're already interested in you and you can explain that you have done other short term contracts,rather than fucking jobs off after a week or two.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.