England vs Iceland - Euro 2016: Last 16 - 27/06/16

I thought we were terrible, we totally froze again. Had we met Iceland at the qualifier stage we would have trounced them. The issue is obviously not that the players didnt try or that they cant be arsed. I didnt see that, in fact I saw them being to arsed, too nervous and scared of losing. Why is that? It's not tactics, we managed perfectly well in the qualifiers against similar teams and better. The only difference is the pressure.

I think the press add a lot to that, our press love a scapegoat and every tourny they do it. Other teams in the euros have their moaning press but ours love to hate. I think the players know that if they fail the press will slaughter them. It adds to the fear factor.

Of course it's not only that, the players are young, a lot of them havent got good experience of tournies, the thing of being away from home for a whole month is different too, maybe that adds to it. Being in the spotlight of majorchampionships too.

I am not sure, but it isnt :
They are shit
Joe Hart
Tactical naievty
Bad defence
The manager
Luck
arguments in the dressing room (According to the press again, why the fuck they report this shit I dont know)
Lack of good selection of players
players being shoe-horned in

I am not sure, but it isnt :
They are shit
Joe Hart
Tactical naievty
Bad defence
The manager
Luck
arguments in the dressing room (According to the press again, why the fuck they report this shit I dont know)
Lack of good selection of players
players being shoe-horned in

Good post. You can add to that list 'they're pampered', 'they don't care', 'they're paid too much', etc. It's the sort of knee-jerk rubbish you'd expect from that berk Saggers on TalkSport but when you get former players like Chris Waddle spouting it, you really do wonder whether they've forgotten their own past failures.

It says a lot more about the state the PL is in and was won by Leicester City. But you can stick by your opinion mate.

What opinion? It is a fact that Vardy and Kane were the 2 best strikers in the Premier league last season.

I agree mate, all 3 are great strikers and it is a selection headache, but qualifying and the warm up games was the time to try that out, not at the tournament.

Another mistake Hodgson made was selecting Alli and Rooney in midfield. Alli's best position is as the most advanced midfielder, so either play him there or don't start him. Rooney is a striker who can no longer score goals so Hodgson decided to find a place for him, to some extent understandable as he's the captain. But he shouldn't have compromised the balance of the team by picking Rooney and Alli in a three man midfield. Hodgson knew the backlash he would get if he dropped Alli so he found a way to play them both and it cost the team a well balanced midfield.

The players didn't perform and there's no denything that, but frustrating that poor selection and tactics didn't help. We should have at least got through to play France. Just my opinion though!
I think he had to change it based on what players were performing and wasn't plus injuries.

Rooney was a striker through the qualifying campaign but he had a horrendous season up top for the rags.

Then the emmergence of the likes of Vardy, Kane, Alli and Dier basically meant he had little time to find a solution tactically for these players.

Then there is stuff like individual mistakes like Harts that happen and can't really be attributed to the manager. That's just the human element of sport.

I started laughing in the pub during the second half..then quickly realised others didn't find it so funny ....

I laughed all the way to the bank.

What was our record in the last world cup? no wins, 1 goal and home before the burritos were served?
Obviously the ghostly coffin dodgers at FA headquarters were suffering from a touch of Alzheimers when it came to reviewing the teams performance in Brazil. I mean, how the hell did he talk them into giving him another crack at ruining the team? Perhaps it was his plan to build a team around an unfit granny shagger that swung it, or his radical and daring 4 0 5 formation.
Fast forward to 2016 and it would seem their plan was going smoothly until one of the sharper (awake) board members pointed out there was nowhere for Wayne to play. Pipes and Brandy were choked on and the huffing and puffing could be heard all the way to Leicester.

why he insisted on playing a half fit jack wiltshire is beyond me, players should be picked on form and not reputation. everyone was writing iceland off and looking at a possible next game against france. iceland raised their game accordingly and deserved to win. am not his greatest fan but how barkley never got a run out is beyond me.

So you are telling me those players really cannot do the basics off the back of that game? That's equally ridiculous. The things that were happening in that game were not normal for those players anyone using that as a gauge for the level they are at when they've all shown they can do those things and more week in week out... fickle is the word one game and some people get football player amnesia forgetting everything about them. They were shit but it's more funny watching the over the top reactions to it for me. I myself was shouting why can't any of them head a ball straight for example, not a single header from that back four went to any place that was useful for the team(out for a throw-in, right to their player again or straight up in the bloody air). Now that I think of it I have seen Cahill handle highballs perfectly in the past the others I'm not so sure I have come to think of it, so that's probably a bad example apart from taking the time to think back to what they've already shown before this tournament started.

As for it not being about the result I disagree I think if we had scored in the first 3 games with the chances we made(the shooting accuracy has been awful), a lot of people would have looked at the performances totally differently. Iceland was a game on it's own where they actually fell to pieces during it and lost all composure, the people trying to lump it all together as a: "See I told you so", just don't get it IMO. We didn't look anything like that in the previous games, it was pretty bizarre that they all started doing the same mistakes all at once tbh, I'm so glad Sterling wasn't on the pitch when that happened. They looked very much like they weren't enjoying their football in that half and that can affect the very best of players... ask Messi if he agrees with me.

No. Off the back of the tournament. We've cruised to this tournament against shit teams and against anyone half decent,
we struggle to compete.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.