England vs Iceland - Euro 2016: Last 16 - 27/06/16

I've been banned from the Sterling thread, probably for voicing criticism, so I'll say it here. Sterling has to respond against Iceland or things will only get worse. Rooney and Sturridge are defending him publicly, Guardiola backed him personally, Hodgson is apparently giving him a start, so this is the time. Time to man up.

Doesn't mean he has to be Messi and put England on his shoulders, just play hard for 90 minutes. If things don't go his way in the first 10 minutes, he can't check out and ghost through the rest of the game. Iceland has a very physical, defensive team so his speed will be crucial.

Last edited:
The Sterling call is the right one. The last match showed Lallana and Sturridge couldn't stretch a team parking the bus. Sterling just being in the team will give them something to think about and free up space for Rose/Walker whichever side he plays on. But of course if he doesn't score a hat trick then he will be slagged off.

Just hope Sterling can shake the pressure off and put in a good performance. Its also on the management team to keep faith in him.

The team also needs him for the width he can offer. I'd definitely play Sturridge too, as them two have an understanding.

Sterling starting? Well if he can't perform better against Iceland then his confidence really has gone

2-1 Iceland.
Very organised, solid, 2 up front and play like a team. Unless Hodgson creates a system that will make space up front, and then picks Vardy to run into that space, England will struggle to break them down. They also have a very good right back to negate anything Sterling may bring.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.