England's number 1.

You have to understand that in the good old days prior to the break up of the Home Internationals, very few friendlies were played and prior to the break up of the USSR and the Yugoslavian areas, plus the admittance of Andorra / San Marino etc etc, groups for world cups and Euro Championships only had 4 teams in them.

So the quality of teams being played was much higher then - so Paul Robinson could play 10 games and not let a goal in as those games were a good deal of friendlies (against hand picked poor opposition) and qualifying games against the likes of Andora, Faroe Islands etc

BlueMoon_1987 said:
I never did understand why Paul Robinson was dropped. One of our most consistent performers since Seaman.

i think he became a nervous wreck after a few high profile mistakes. he never seemed confident to me in the way shilton and seaman did. james was over confident, i never liked him even when he was at city. he should never have played for england again after conceding 4 in 45 minutes in denmark and admitting he didn't prepare properly. the press applauded his honesty, i thought it was disgraceful to treat the travelling fans that way.

THFC6061 said:
Surprisingly enough, England's best goalkeeper ever in terms of the fewest average goals per game conceded is none other than Paul Robinson.

Joe Hart is up there though...

England's Goalkeepers Statistics 1872-2011

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/EnglandsGoalkeepers.html

Second.

And Big Joe is third.

Now, there's a man, who should have played many more times for England than he did.

According to his autobiography, it was all very political, the fact that he was overlooked so often for Shilton and Clemence.

Absolute disgrace!

But good goal keeping does not have so much to do with the number of goals conceived. If you have a good team with good defensive work a goal keeper does not have much to do and to show - when you have a bad team or an offensive set up you might get 20 balls on the target, get a couple of goals in but still can be one of the best.

But the ideal modern goal keeper has more to do than just keep the line clean - it is not 10 players and one goal keeper anymore - it is 11 players of which one has gloves.

The first two goals in yesterday's game from Turkey against Germany were pre-assisted by Manuel Neuer - he is doing handball training with handball goal keepers, too, to improve his play. To keep his goal clean is one thing, but being the first to start the offense is a second. The first goal was planned between Müller and Neuer when they found out that Müllers opponent was standing too deep and he started it with a long throw (about 12 seconds from goalkeeper into the opponents goal) - the second was unplanned.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONR4sbU1I_E[/youtube]

Joe Hart is good. But he can still improve a real lot. The two goals against Bayern would not have happened to every other goal keeper. So even if his statistics are good, that does not mean much. The goal record Bayern is working on right now only has partially to do with Manuel Neuer's performance. He did not get a lot to do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.