English sides in Europe

WNRH

This is something I can not seem to work out.

Why do English sides constantly get outplayed and dominated in terms of possession in Europe against the top sides?

Look at it this week. We get dominated by Bayern, Chelsea struggle against Schalke, Liverpool the same against minnows and Arsenal get completely annihilated by Dortmund.

Now individually I believe all the English sides have better players than the teams they have faced and fantastic technical players as well from abroad so I can't figure out why, its not like we can say English players are inferior as we have the likes of Kompany, Silva, Aguero, Yaya, Nasri, Fernandinho.

If both clubs swapped players last night, I believe Bayern would still win. Can anyone ever imagine an English side going to the big boys and playing them off the park away from home? Is it the mentality of a Premier League game that is hard to just change for European nights?

By the way I don't think we did that bad last night but when you have the players we have against a back four of Rafinha, Boateng, Bernat and Alaba in midfield I at least expect us to take the game to them. They had Robben and Ribery out last night and still looked comfortable, if we had Silva and Nasri out and had to put a LB in midfield we would struggle badly.

We haven't yet got to the stage where our style of play doesn't change when the personnel does. When someone like Silva is out, you really notice it, so we're still reliant on the players rather than the system. Bayern might've tweaked their system recently with Guardiola coming in, but you're still talking about a team that's been playing together for years, with all of the youth playing in the same way. There's also the fact that anyone can have a bad day and in the Champions League, every team is good enough to capitalise on that and either beat you, or at least give you a tough game. Barcelona only beat Nicosia 1-0 at home. PSG couldn't get past Ajax. The Spanish champions and last season's finalists lost to Olympiakos.

Pressing. No one in England does it, so when even the top teams come up against teams that do, we cannot handle it. Seeming as 90% of the premier league plays long balls out from the back, there is very little point in pressing teams defence in england as they'll just hoof it over you. So in general, teams in england have no idea how to handle being pressed and don't really have any experience in doing high quality pressing themselves.

BigOscar said:
Pressing. No one in England does it, so when even the top teams come up against teams that do, we cannot handle it. Seeming as 90% of the premier league plays long balls out from the back, there is very little point in pressing teams defence in england as they'll just hoof it over you. So in general, teams in england have no idea how to handle being pressed and don't really have any experience in doing high quality pressing themselves.

Agree, pressing is vital in European games. Every time we play against one of the top sides we concede possession of the ball so easily due to the other team pressing. Yet when they have the ball we seem to let them run with in and players have time and space to pick passes.

Is it a fitness issue or just not used to doing it like you say in the league.

mosssideblue said:
I think there is also the media putting an inordinate amount of pressure on UK teams, probably due to rags and dipper history
Always find it staggering when the PL is touted as the best league in the world by the meadia. In terms of entertainment and excitement; quite possibly. But in terms of technique, I'm afraid not. The best teams in Spanish and German football are a long way ahead of their equivalent in England.

Our (English) Coaching Culture is shocking.
When those at the top realise it's baby steps and it starts right at the bottom of the game - Grassroots level.
This is when the way in which we play across every amateur/semi-pro/pro league improves.

Paying 50mil. to bring in the latest superstar who's performed well in a foreign league is just the Hollywood philosophy to create entertainment.

Shit movie, nobody would watch = throw in a top A-list actor and everyone flocks to see it.

This is the top level philosophy right now to play the game in this country.
Sure foreign clubs will also buy big name players, but if you look behind the scenes you see thousands more qualified people who can coach at an high standard in these countries.

Our Grassroots/Coaching is embarrassing and somewhat disgusting when you consider how much money is thrown in at the top end to keep the sheep flocking to the cinema sorry I meant the stadiums. The Theatre of Dreams.... says it all really.

Over here it's seen as an Entertainment product more than in other countries where it's seen as a Sport, with clear avenues to learn the techniques throughout, and possibilities to prosper financially.

The English kids would guarantee beat any other nations kids at FIFA 14 for the Xbox/Ps4.
Whereas on the pitch the English kids would probably have strokes and collapse on the floor due to their obesity.

jimharri said:
mosssideblue said:
I think there is also the media putting an inordinate amount of pressure on UK teams, probably due to rags and dipper history
Always find it staggering when the PL is touted as the best league in the world by the meadia. In terms of entertainment and excitement; quite possibly. But in terms of technique, I'm afraid not. The best teams in Spanish and German football are a long way ahead of their equivalent in England.

its the age old arguement, i know what i'd rather watch though!

WNRH said:
This is something I can not seem to work out.

Why do English sides constantly get outplayed and dominated in terms of possession in Europe against the top sides?

Look at it this week. We get dominated by Bayern, Chelsea struggle against Schalke, Liverpool the same against minnows and Arsenal get completely annihilated by Dortmund.

Now individually I believe all the English sides have better players than the teams they have faced and fantastic technical players as well from abroad so I can't figure out why, its not like we can say English players are inferior as we have the likes of Kompany, Silva, Aguero, Yaya, Nasri, Fernandinho.

If both clubs swapped players last night, I believe Bayern would still win. Can anyone ever imagine an English side going to the big boys and playing them off the park away from home? Is it the mentality of a Premier League game that is hard to just change for European nights?

By the way I don't think we did that bad last night but when you have the players we have against a back four of Rafinha, Boateng, Bernat and Alaba in midfield I at least expect us to take the game to them. They had Robben and Ribery out last night and still looked comfortable, if we had Silva and Nasri out and had to put a LB in midfield we would struggle badly.
That's your first problem there. Apart from Chelsea the English sides did not have better players and that's why they lost. Too much hype from Sky being believed when it comes to our national team and players in the league.

Why Always Ste said:
Our (English) Coaching Culture is shocking.
When those at the top realise it's baby steps and it starts right at the bottom of the game - Grassroots level.
This is when the way in which we play across every amateur/semi-pro/pro league improves.

Paying 50mil. to bring in the latest superstar who's performed well in a foreign league is just the Hollywood philosophy to create entertainment.

Shit movie, nobody would watch = throw in a top A-list actor and everyone flocks to see it.

This is the top level philosophy right now to play the game in this country.
Sure foreign clubs will also buy big name players, but if you look behind the scenes you see thousands more qualified people who can coach at an high standard in these countries.

Our Grassroots/Coaching is embarrassing and somewhat disgusting when you consider how much money is thrown in at the top end to keep the sheep flocking to the cinema sorry I meant the stadiums. The Theatre of Dreams.... says it all really.

Over here it's seen as an Entertainment product more than in other countries where it's seen as a Sport, with clear avenues to learn the techniques throughout, and possibilities to prosper financially.

The English kids would guarantee beat any other nations kids at FIFA 14 for the Xbox/Ps4.
Whereas on the pitch the English kids would probably have strokes and collapse on the floor due to their obesity.

I'm not sure what grassroots football in England has to do with the likes of Pelegrini, Mourinho, Wenger not getting the best out of their non british players when playing against their european counterparts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.