Estate agent and asbestos issue

Manc in London

We got the keys for our new house last week. However, we were unable to move in until today as asbestos needed to be removed from the loft (asbestos was disturbed after a water tank had been removed a couple of years earlier). This was initially picked up the surveyor.

Last week the missus, my daughter and I took some stuff to the property we had bought. We could only put a few bits and bobs in the garage as we were told not to put anything in the house until the asbestos had been cleared. When we were in the garage I noticed an open builders bag and moved it out of the way. It wasn’t ours so the missus rang the estate agent and asked what it was and why it had not been removed. The estate agent told her that it is full of asbestos. He apparently laughed as he said it.

The estate agent, and thus I assume the vendor, knew full well what they were doing. It was irresponsible, potentially dangerous and nasty - we had problems with the vendor throughout the whole process, so I imagine this may have been 'payback'. Naturally, I was livid. My first thought was to go to the estate agents and put my fist through his head. I didn’t as I had to pick up the little un from school :) . By the next day, I had calmed down but I am now fuming once more about it as the asbestos clearance people confirmed today that the bag contained asbestos.

I know a lot of poeple over-react when it comes to asbestos. However, my little un was exposed to it. That is the main reason behind my anger.

Am I overreacting?

Do I just let it slide?

Is it worth registering my complaint to the estate agents’ ombudsmen?

Any other action I could take?

We feel we have already been deceived by the estate agent as he told us the vendor would be move on the evening of the completion date (2 October). They were arranging the removal. However, we drove past the house on the morning of 3 October and the vendor was still in the property. A few days later, the neighbour informed us that he did not move out until later that evening. We couldn’t move into the property as the asbestos removal firm were not due to start the clearance until 9 October. However, the estate agent clearly knew the vendor had no intention of moving on the date we took ownership of the property.

Absolute joke that mate. I would get on to the ombudsman if I were you. I know a few friends parents used to do roofing and building work when we didn't know the dangers of asbestos and have since passed away from cancers due to them being affected by the asbestos. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Spot the difference

Slug
url1.jpeg

Estate agent
[bigimg]http://images.dailyexpress.co.uk/img/dynamic/128/590x/secondary/88260.jpg[/bigimg]

Manc in London said:
We got the keys for our new house last week. However, we were unable to move in until today as asbestos needed to be removed from the loft (asbestos was disturbed after a water tank had been removed a couple of years earlier). This was initially picked up the surveyor.

Last week the missus, my daughter and I took some stuff to the property we had bought. We could only put a few bits and bobs in the garage as we were told not to put anything in the house until the asbestos had been cleared. When we were in the garage I noticed an open builders bag and moved it out of the way. It wasn’t ours so the missus rang the estate agent and asked what it was and why it had not been removed. The estate agent told her that it is full of asbestos. He apparently laughed as he said it.

The estate agent, and thus I assume the vendor, knew full well what they were doing. It was irresponsible, potentially dangerous and nasty - we had problems with the vendor throughout the whole process, so I imagine this may have been 'payback'. Naturally, I was livid. My first thought was to go to the estate agents and put my fist through his head. I didn’t as I had to pick up the little un from school :) . By the next day, I had calmed down but I am now fuming once more about it as the asbestos clearance people confirmed today that the bag contained asbestos.

I know a lot of poeple over-react when it comes to asbestos. However, my little un was exposed to it. That is the main reason behind my anger.

Am I overreacting?

Do I just let it slide?

We feel we have already been deceived by the estate agent as he told us the vendor would be move on the evening of the completion date (2 October). They were arranging the removal. However, we drove past the house on the morning of 3 October and the vendor was still in the property. A few days later, the neighbour informed us that he did not move out until later that evening. We couldn’t move into the property as the asbestos removal firm were not due to start the clearance until 9 October. However, the estate agent clearly knew the vendor had no intention of moving on the date we took ownership of the property.

It really depends, if it's asbestos cement sheets (which seem likely) it's not really that dangerous and can be disposed of at the local tip (for a small fee) I doubt it would be Amosite or crocidolite I presume the surveyor had it checked out

stony said:
Spot the difference

Slug
url1.jpeg

Estate agent
[bigimg]http://images.dailyexpress.co.uk/img/dynamic/128/590x/secondary/88260.jpg[/bigimg]

You've posted the same pic twice Stony??

I've had my own dealings in the last couple of days with them. Fucking nightmare, we gave notice
to Reeds Rains as they had done FUCK ALL for 12 months, low and behold the lying, threats and intimidation started.

Ducado said:
Manc in London said:

Am I overreacting?

Do I just let it slide?

It really depends, if it's asbestos cement sheets (which seem likely) it's not really that dangerous and can be disposed of at the local tip (for a small fee) I doubt it would be Amosite or crocidolite I presume the surveyor had it checked out

The bag was not looked at by the surveyor. I don't know what type of asbestos it is but I was told by the surveyor that the asbestos found in the loft, which is what was in the bag, was the asbestos that resembles foam. As I said, it had been disturbed/broken.

stony said:
Spot the difference

Slug
url1.jpeg

Estate agent

TBF the estate agent who dealt with the sale of our house was excellent. Even the solicitor and our buyer said he was a joy to work with.

Saying that, most of those I have met are slimy, verminous, wankspalshes with pointy shoes and cufflinks.

Manc in London said:
Ducado said:
Manc in London said:

Am I overreacting?

Do I just let it slide?

The bag was not looked at by the surveyor. I don't know what type of asbestos it is but I was told by the surveyor that the asbestos found in the loft, which is what was in the bag, was the asbestos that resembles foam. As I said, it had been disturbed/broken.

Did he provide a written report? With test results? If not I would be a little suspicious I am not sure what he means by "resembles foam"

Estate agents are a fuckin joke,should've gone to their shop and tipped the bag in there.

By the way reeds rains probably are the shittest !

Ducado said:
Manc in London said:
Ducado said:

Did he provide a written report? With test results? If not I would be a little suspicious I am not sure what he means by "resembles foam"

The reference to foam was following a conversation with the surveyor. I believe he said it was to do with insulating the pipes. The survey report did not state what type of asbestos it was.

The asbestos people provided a full report and air tests results were tested at an independent lab. Plus an HSE inspector came out. The company was recommended by a friend who manages asbestos removal for a council. The report is at the house but the missus told me it "something beginning with C and something less harmful beginning with A" (my missus is useless at times). I'm moving in tomorrow so will have a read of the report and tell you what types they are.

The estate agent knew that he was exposing us to asbestos without telling us until after we had been exposed. He is an estate agent so I think it unlikely he is an asbestos expert who is able to judge if it is safe and what is 'safe exposure'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.