Etihad Atmosphere - 2021/22

Yesterday the Chelsea fans were the loudest I’ve heard them since the 80s, of course it was 100% gloating but still created an atmosphere and we had little to come back at them with. “Mind the gap cockney wankers” would have done but at the end of the day we just can’t summon the same venom we have for the red history wankers.

You obviously weren't in SL1 or Blocks 111, 110, 109. Deary me.

Even United now have a proper singing section just above the tunnel that sings non-stop all game. It’s got very strict rules in there, you have to sing all game, if you’re caught with your phone out in that section during the game your seat number is reported to the club and you may be asked to move out of the area (I’m not making that up, that’s genuinely the case!).

Not something I’d particularly want for us, but, again, they’re being proactive and doing something about their poor atmosphere they’ve had for a long time. A lot of proper United fans had grown sick to death of the day trippers diluting the place and I think they’ve got a grip of tickets for away games being dished out to them as well all through fan pressure.

Their singing section even sung all game in the 0-5 defeat to Liverpool and the 0-2 defeat to City. There are videos of them on YouTube when Bernardo’s goal went in where it didn’t stop them from singing, they just carried on.

They’ll always struggle at Old Scaffold though because the stadium is just too big for an atmosphere to carry from one area. You won’t hear them from the other end of the ground.
Trouble with that is that it sounds very manufactured.

Yesterday the Chelsea fans were the loudest I’ve heard them since the 80s, of course it was 100% gloating but still created an atmosphere and we had little to come back at them with. “Mind the gap cockney wankers” would have done but at the end of the day we just can’t summon the same venom we have for the red history wankers.
I was hoping to hear...we know what you are, racist bastards, we know what you are...
Still dull as fuck as a fan base

You can be a city fan and know our atmosphere is poor, for whatever reason. It can be admitted, it doesn’t hurt. Honest.

Liverpools is better, not every single week no, lesser teams it’s quiet. By all means believe it’s a media hype, every single manager and ex player, people involved playing or competing against them there would tell you otherwise though.
Really? For most of their home games it's very quiet, same as us and most teams, it's a complete myth about their atmosphere and I speak from experience of many visits to anfield. Just because the media keep saying it's a cauldron does not make it so

For years the Anfield atmosphere truly was a myth! But there was a bit of a storm amongst their own fans about it early in Klopp’s reign after some comments Klopp made (“I felt like I was on my own at the end” after loads of early leavers, and “it was very quiet today, we need the fans to get behind us more” after a draw they struggled in and the fans were shit), and there was that Liverpool fan on RedmenTV who was slating their fanbase… and they proper sorted themselves out.

I reckon that in the three years before Covid started, Anfield was the best in the country for regular good atmospheres (I’ve not really watched them much this season to say if thats carried on).

Even Pep mentioned how loud the atmosphere is at Anfield in a Catalan TV interview about 18 months ago.

I think it’s all too easy to say how much of a myth their atmosphere is just because that was the case for a few decades. But they were proactive in doing something about it. They get new songs on their fan channels, they have Saturday night events aimed at young adults in a live music club sort of venue where bands play Liverpool songs, and they have the advantage of a 12,500 Kop… their fans quickly pick up the lyrics to new songs.

We have nothing like that. You could tap someone on the shoulder in the East Stand, Colin Bell or Family Stand and ask him what the words are to “Empty Seats at home” or “Ruben Dias…” and I bet bloody loads wouldn’t be able to tell you.
Middle of the East Stand and we can't hear the words and the tunes to many chants are also not familiar. For the first time today I learned the existence of 'empty seats at home' and only found the words because some linked the words to City fans singing it at an away match.
I didn't even know there was a song for Ruben.

Blind loyalty is admirable. Again take the media away and ask ex players/managers including pep. Our atmosphere is turd. Has been since we stepped foot in the etihad unfortunately. If you think otherwise go for it. You’re wrong though
Course I am.... enjoy your famous Anfield atmosphere, and its Etihad with a capital E, another clue where your loyalties lie

To get a decent atmosphere you need a large group singing in unison, with others round the stadium willing to join in. We have groups either side of the visitors and each group is split over three levels.
A roof that slopes down at the front also helps reflect the sound as does a low roof; we have neither. We have one of the best looking grounds in the universe but it wasn't designed with acoustics in mind.
And the corporate bit in the middle of SS2 also dilutes the noise created in the rest of the tier. Nip round the corners and there are more corporate bits in CB2 and ES2.
The police want away fans where they currently are, and where they have been since the ground opened. City's noisiest fans want to be either side of the away fans, (unlike at Anfield for example where they are at the opposite end), so why the hell didn't the club site Joes and 93:20 at the north ends of CB2 and ES2?
We can create a good atmosphere; "stand up for the champions" has people joining in from all areas, but it happens too infrequently.
Is the atmosphere truly great at other grounds? Possibly when some of the mid and lower table teams are doing well, but certainly not on a regular basis at Anfield, the swamp and Arsenal. Spurs were fairly lively when they moved to their new ground but the novelty is beginning to wear off.
Does it matter? Hang on I'll check the table: Hmm, played, won, drawn, lost, for, against, GD and points. No mention of atmosphere.

Course I am.... enjoy your famous Anfield atmosphere, and its Etihad with a capital E, another clue where your loyalties lie
Grow tf up. He’s a blue with an opinion that you don’t agree with, get over it. calling him a Scousers is a weak as piss.

It’s not just the media though is it. I’ve been half a dozen times and it’s mostly been loud with a good atmosphere. Many players and x players and managers say the same thing They have a tight ground and it’s still their old ground so there are contributing factors but to deny that Anfield frequently creates a loud atmosphere is a bit silly.
Err no you’re being a bit silly. The atmosphere when we play there is far better than for the usual humdrum league game because they hate us. Your sample size is 6 games not all of which had a good atmosphere you say. Most of the Anfield games I’ve watched this year have had your typical sterile modern day football atmosphere. Even in their big game of the season when the hated champions rolled into town the atmosphere was flat as a pancake in the first half.

I find it amazing that a middle aged fan of another club buys into the nonsense spouted by the dippers’ PR dept. It doesn’t matter more and there’s nothing special about nights under the anfield lights - that’s all just made up shite designed to encourage plastics to buy merchandise.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.